Outlook Calendar sharing in Servoy...

Share business templates, ideas, experiences, etc with fellow Servoy developers here

Outlook Calendar sharing in Servoy...

Postby Providence1 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:16 am

Is there a ready made product out there that mimics Outlook calendar sharing in Servoy?
Providence
Providence1
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:36 am
Location: New York, NY

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:15 pm

I am working on a calendar module but that is no way near completion. But it will allow sharing of calendars (and more).

Maybe someone else has something closer to completion that you can use right now.
Robert Ivens
ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer
Twitter: @roclasi / @servoyforge
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
User avatar
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert
 
Posts: 5225
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:49 am
Location: Netherlands/Belgium

Postby Riccardino » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:15 pm

ROCLASI wrote:I am working on a calendar module but that is no way near completion. But it will allow sharing of calendars (and more).

Maybe someone else has something closer to completion that you can use right now.


A Servoy html calendar application is soon to be released as an open source Servoy project (I will release the code as soon as the article will appear on Servoy Magazine).
The application is of course planned to become a module, but not before 2.2 Final.

At the moment, the application has daily and weekly agenda, and a weekly planner.

i hope Servoy community will help me to add other nice to have features (such as monthly calendar, a way to manage overlapping appointments and, maybe after 2.5, drag&drop support ;)
ciao, ric
User avatar
Riccardino
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Ferrara, Italy

Postby patrick » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:05 pm

Seems like everyone is having that problem :lol:

Month: http://www.maison-partner.de/Images/month.jpg

Week: http://www.maison-partner.de/Images/week.jpg

(Of course, there is day, too...).

So how do we make that a "joint development module"?
patrick
 
Posts: 3622
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:33 am
Location: Munich, Germany

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:53 pm

I have almost tackled the overlap issue. At least, I know how to do it, now to find the time to implement it.
Btw I also use HTML :)
Robert Ivens
ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer
Twitter: @roclasi / @servoyforge
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
User avatar
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert
 
Posts: 5225
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:49 am
Location: Netherlands/Belgium

Postby patrick » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:31 pm

We solved that overlap problem, too. It depends, of course, on how you want to display that. We have used Apples .mac implementation of vcalendar sharing as a base...

Overlapping is not the only problem, though. We also thought that appointments spanning more than one day are quite a thing to do, but also solved that one.

By the way: it looks like the things we do are only possible in Java 1.5. Under Java 1.4 the HTML tables don't even show cell borders, so the whole thing really doesn't look that great. There have been quite some improvements on HTML rendering in 1.5, it seems...
patrick
 
Posts: 3622
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:33 am
Location: Munich, Germany

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:00 pm

patrick wrote:We solved that overlap problem, too. It depends, of course, on how you want to display that. We have used Apples .mac implementation of vcalendar sharing as a base...

I looked at .mac as well ;)

patrick wrote:By the way: it looks like the things we do are only possible in Java 1.5. Under Java 1.4 the HTML tables don't even show cell borders, so the whole thing really doesn't look that great. There have been quite some improvements on HTML rendering in 1.5, it seems...


I don't think your Java version has anything to do with the HTML rendering bean. Also when you use the table property border=1 then it does show cell borders.
Or are you referring to CSS ?
Robert Ivens
ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer
Twitter: @roclasi / @servoyforge
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
User avatar
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert
 
Posts: 5225
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:49 am
Location: Netherlands/Belgium

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:04 pm

Riccardino wrote:A Servoy html calendar application is soon to be released as an open source Servoy project (I will release the code as soon as the article will appear on Servoy Magazine).
The application is of course planned to become a module, but not before 2.2 Final.
And
Riccardino wrote: i hope Servoy community will help me to add other nice to have features (such as monthly calendar, a way to manage overlapping appointments and, maybe after 2.5, drag&drop support ;)


I am working on a website to facilitate these OpenSource Servoy projects.
Stay tuned :)
Robert Ivens
ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer
Twitter: @roclasi / @servoyforge
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
User avatar
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert
 
Posts: 5225
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:49 am
Location: Netherlands/Belgium

Postby patrick » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:10 pm

We will be pleased to help out if we can. Just time is a bit short...

I don't think your Java version has anything to do with the HTML rendering bean. Also when you use the table property border=1 then it does show cell borders.
Or are you referring to CSS ?


Hmm. I do think it does. But yes, we are using CSS, but we have also tried to set borders of cells and tables directly without success :? Are you sure this works? If yes, could you send me a simple sample that does work under Java 1.4x?

Thanks
Patrick

P.S.: There is still many shortcomings on the html renderer that Sun offers. I know that finding a different rendering engine is on "The List" somewhere. I wonder how high. If we had proper html support we could do pretty cool stuff. Calendering for example is partly difficult because you have to strip down what you want to achieve until you find the lowest common grounds... With a proper html renderer you can build an astonishing calendar.

I even thought about building a calender in HTML, display it only in a browser and use the headless client to communicate with data. Just a thought... The more I think about it, the better it sounds...
patrick
 
Posts: 3622
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:33 am
Location: Munich, Germany

Postby Providence1 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:52 pm

I'm very excited about all this talk, and forgive my ignorance, but isn't the Gecko engine open source?
Providence
Providence1
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:36 am
Location: New York, NY

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:03 pm

Providence1 wrote:I'm very excited about all this talk, and forgive my ignorance, but isn't the Gecko engine open source?

Yes it's open source...but also written in C(++) and not Java.
Now if it would be in Java we would have the most mature render engine around for Java enviroments.
Robert Ivens
ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer
Twitter: @roclasi / @servoyforge
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
User avatar
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert
 
Posts: 5225
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:49 am
Location: Netherlands/Belgium

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:22 pm

patrick wrote:Hmm. I do think it does. But yes, we are using CSS, but we have also tried to set borders of cells and tables directly without success :? Are you sure this works? If yes, could you send me a simple sample that does work under Java 1.4x?


Here is a sample solution that shows the table borders under Java 1.4.2
http://www.roclasi.com/TableTest.servoy
Robert Ivens
ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer
Twitter: @roclasi / @servoyforge
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
User avatar
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert
 
Posts: 5225
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:49 am
Location: Netherlands/Belgium

Postby Riccardino » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:03 am

patrick wrote:We solved that overlap problem, too. It depends, of course, on how you want to display that. We have used Apples .mac implementation of vcalendar sharing as a base...


It's an option.
But it would be nicer to have it entirely in Servoy...;)
patrick wrote:Overlapping is not the only problem, though. We also thought that appointments spanning more than one day are quite a thing to do, but also solved that one.


Yeah: calendaring carries a lot of problems. Another question is provide the user a function that easily locates the first day having enough free time to take an appointment with a certain duration: difficult to do if you don't use a "record grid" to show the appos...
ciao, ric
User avatar
Riccardino
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Ferrara, Italy

Postby Riccardino » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:05 am

ROCLASI wrote:
I am working on a website to facilitate these OpenSource Servoy projects.
Stay tuned :)


Glad to hear it :-)
ciao, ric
User avatar
Riccardino
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Ferrara, Italy

Postby patrick » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:13 am

Here is a sample solution that shows the table borders under Java 1.4.2
http://www.roclasi.com/TableTest.servoy


Thanks for the sample! Have to look at it under 1.4 :lol: (running 1.5)
patrick
 
Posts: 3622
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:33 am
Location: Munich, Germany


Return to Sharing Central

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest