Graphics library to view data lineage

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Graphics library to view data lineage

Postby larry.gormley » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:51 am

Hi all,

I want to do a data lineage program such that a database table field can be followed from ultimate source to ultimate target via intermediate tables or files, all displayed in graphical format similar to the attached illustration.

Thanks for any help.
Attachments
graphic.png
graphic workflow example
graphic.png (21.65 KiB) Viewed 806 times
larry.gormley

Re: Graphics library to view data lineage

Postby ROCLASI » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Larry,

It sounds to me you want an ETL tool. There are many of these tools in the market, OpenSource and commercial.
Picking the right one depends on your technical needs, OS choice and personal preference.
I suggest you google for ETL.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer
Twitter: @roclasi / @servoyforge
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby larry.gormley » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Robert,

Good eye! Thanks Robert but I already have Informatica (an ETL tool) which is why I used a screen-shot of it as an example. However, back to my requirement, what I need to accomplish is what Informatica does and at least one other competitor does (DataStage) which is to follow data in individual fields from ultimate source to ultimate target via staging tables or other temporary stops along the way. The reason I am doing this is because I use several types of ETL tools but I feel like I need my own "data lineage" program so that I can compare all my customers "data lineage" instead of being locked into a single proprietary (and expensive) tool's variant. I hope that helps describe what I need a little better. :)
larry.gormley

Postby prakya208 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:55 pm

helooo..! I am working on the same project now can u guide me...?! or atleast help me..?!
prakya208

Return to Programming with Servoy