Is the following possible using Servoy?

Discuss the Offline version of Servoy that allows you to run Servoy applications on and offline by using synchronization technology like Mobilink and SQL Remote.

Is the following possible using Servoy?

Postby martinh » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi,

I would like to know if the following is possible with Servoy.

I need a stand-alone application that will work offline (so without connection to the webserver containing the repository)
I checked the forum and the servoy documentation and I found that in Servoy 3.5 the Runtime Builder existed.
But the runtime builder had the limitation that it has no network functionality (I suppose that included also, http-plugin not available neither the datastream plugin from IT2BE)
and the stand-alone application I need must also have possibility to have network traffic.
Also I’ve seen that the Runtime Builder is not mentioned anymore in the Servoy 4 documentation, so does this mean that it doesn’t exist anymore.

The application I need is the following:

When a user receives an email in Outlook (or even better any mail client), then the user must be able to do a right-click on the message and select ‘Send to Globis’
Then a Servoy form must be shown. On that form the user must see the email and the attachments from this email.
User must select some categories on the form (which are in the Globis Database) and after select of the categories, the contents of the form must be send to the application server and written in the database.

Issues:
1) When user doesn’t have connection to the webserver, the user must be able to categorize the mail using the stand-alone application. So this must be kept locally until connection is available again.
2) In case there is no connection to the webserver (and so no connection to the database) the categories the users can select must be shown, so the categories must be saved as well on the client (perhaps in XML-format)
3) The attachments of the mail must be send by the datastream plugin of IT2BE, to save the attachments on disc on the webserver
4) The startup of the stand-alone application must be quick. A full download of Servoy with all plugins takes too long
5) It is not the intention to write a full email client like Outlook, so Outlook/Mail plugins don’t seem to be the best solution either.

My questions:
1) Is the functionality as decribed above possible with Servoy?
2) Is the runtime builder functionality still available in Servoy 4 / Servoy 5.1?
3) Is there perhaps another way to obtain this. Maybe an external application that is written with or without Servoy API?

Kind regards,
Martin
------------------------------------------------
Servoy Developer
Version 5.2.10/5.2.13
Java version 1.6 update 31
Database SQL Server 2008 R2
martinh

Re: Is the following possible using Servoy?

Postby lvostinar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:32 am

There still is the runtime client in Servoy (4 and 5). Also it has some fixes since 3.5 . See viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11744#p70830 for how to get to the wizard. The runtime client is a standalone application (so doesn't really know about repository, application server ...) that uses only one Sybase database. When starting the application the sybase database will also start. You don't have direct access to any other server. However, as far as I know, plugins should work just fine ( the are all copied to export location). So, I think, what you need here is store the local data in sybase database (so program will work even when web server is not accessible) and use some plugin to synchronize with the server ( retrieve xml data from server).

When a user receives an email in Outlook (or even better any mail client), then the user must be able to do a right-click on the message and select ‘Send to Globis’
Then a Servoy form must be shown.

Not sure about this , I guess you need some sort of Outlook plugin that displays the context option and launches the servoy application.

On that form the user must see the email and the attachments from this email.

Then I guess you want to send some parameters to Servoy application about email things . This part is a bit in the clouds, at least for me.

1) When user doesn’t have connection to the webserver, the user must be able to categorize the mail using the stand-alone application. So this must be kept locally until connection is available again.

just use the sybase database from runtime application

2) In case there is no connection to the webserver (and so no connection to the database) the categories the users can select must be shown, so the categories must be saved as well on the client (perhaps in XML-format)

as I said, save locally in sybase and synch with server (get xml data from server)

3) The attachments of the mail must be send by the datastream plugin of IT2BE, to save the attachments on disc on the webserver

I think plugins should work in runtime appication.

4) The startup of the stand-alone application must be quick. A full download of Servoy with all plugins takes too long

it takes a few seconds because it also launches sybase personal server

5) It is not the intention to write a full email client like Outlook, so Outlook/Mail plugins don’t seem to be the best solution either.

don't understand what you mean here

Hope this helps you, I think it's my longest post on the forum.
Laurian Vostinar
Servoy
lvostinar

Postby IT2Be » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:53 am

I guess you need some sort of Outlook plugin
Available on our website :)
I think plugins should work in runtime appication.
I have had a client playing with another plugin. If I remember well there are some snags but I would have to look up what they are...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby patrick » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:13 am

You could also consider following a bit different approach. You user could simply move or copy the message to an IMAP folder called "Globis" for example. Then, in your solution, you subscribe to that folder. Once moved in the folder, you can setup your solution in a way that the message instantly pops up. That approach is working for all email clients and there is no need to "connect" the email client with your Servoy client directly in any way.
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Return to Servoy Offline Client