Difference between Servoy Runtime & Servoy Offline

Discuss the Offline version of Servoy that allows you to run Servoy applications on and offline by using synchronization technology like Mobilink and SQL Remote.

Difference between Servoy Runtime & Servoy Offline

Postby dpearce » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:42 pm

I am still a little unclear about the difference (if their is one) between Servoy Offline and Servoy Runtime?

Servoy Offline seems to be a but of a mythical beast that is ?a developer version with the developer switched off, but use the integral sybase database.

Servoy Runtime seems to be a standalone application

Or Are these just one and the same thing??

What i am trying to achieve is to have a version of my application that can run as a standalone, but that i can then create my own routines to pump some of that data back to my main mysql database when the user can get online again, and also the ability to pull some data down before he/she goes offline in order to work on it.

This isnt true syncronisation, so i am really looking to see which solution would cope best with a couple of bespoke scripts to do this, i suppose, import, export and update type of stuff.

David
dpearce

Postby IT2Be » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:46 pm

David, I think it is said before. There is no real separate Servoy offline.

Servoy runtime is a completely independently running servoy instance. Single user, Single database.

What you call Servoy offline is Servoy working together with Sybase, where Sybase offers a product to use the database offline.

With the correct settings, I believe they float around on the forum somewhere, you can use the offline product together with Servoy but with the purpose to, somewhere, synchronize it with the main database.

No way you can do this with MySQL as far as I know but I guess you are looking at the offline functionality.
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby IT2Be » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:12 pm

Taken from servoy.com:

Servoy Offline

Servoy can be run without a live connection to a central database. It is possible for a programmer to use Sybase MobiLink (available separately) to synchronize the data between Servoy Server and the local database.

For example, sales people can use an offline solution to enter orders, update contact details, etc.; and then later synchronize the data with the main database when they have an Internet connection.

Servoy Runtime

Create A Stand-Alone Of Your Servoy Solutions
Servoy Runtime creates a stand-alone version of your Servoy solution. It contains a built-in, single-user (cannot be networked) Sybase database engine and can be run locally or from a CD.

Servoy Runtime is perfect for sending out single-user productivity solutions, electronic catalogs and other information-rich software. Each Servoy Runtime Edition license includes distribution rights, Servoy licenses and Sybase ASA database licenses for 500 copies.
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Re: Difference between Servoy Runtime & Servoy Offline

Postby ngervasi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:40 pm

dpearce wrote:What i am trying to achieve is to have a version of my application that can run as a standalone, but that i can then create my own routines to pump some of that data back to my main mysql database when the user can get online again, and also the ability to pull some data down before he/she goes offline in order to work on it.

This isnt true syncronisation, so i am really looking to see which solution would cope best with a couple of bespoke scripts to do this, i suppose, import, export and update type of stuff.

David

If you only need this you can code it yourself using databaseManager.switchServer: you'll have to take care of sync issues though, not possible but quite difficult.
ngervasi

Postby Gordon » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:03 am

IT2Be wrote:No way you can do this with MySQL as far as I know but I guess you are looking at the offline functionality.

This can be done with MySQL but its a bit of a pain:

1. You need Developer Smart Client (see Jan Aleman) this is a version of developer with the developer bit disabled and the client enabled with network access (unlike the run time version that has this disabled)

2. You need to set up three versions of your data base specifically:

- One version on your server
- One version that is local
- One version that is effectively in limbo

3. You need to either write or get written a Java call to the server to see if its alive or not - Contact either Marcel or Lee McNeil (Lee sorted it for me)

4. IF the network connection is alive you need to use the data switcher to switch from the limbo data connection to the live connection - and then I guess sync or whatever you want to do (we sync jobs down and upload results that have been collected via the laptop when off line)

5. If the connection is dead use the Data Switcher to switch the data source to the offline local copy of the database. ( all done on load and transparent to the user all they know if its connected is the On-Line flag is visible and their data asks them if they want to sync)

All of this runs using MySQL and so does the Repository for that matter. Dont use the Java polling widget to call the MySQL port because it is not so tolerant to lots of connections - we used port 80

Essentially - this allows you to work off line and then sync your results from either local to server or vice verse. Its also a great potential plugin Marcel ;)

IMPORTANT The data switcher functionality seems to have died on the client version using Servoy 3.5 - it works on developer but when the same file is loaded in client it fails to switch - this may not affect this method as the client is a smart client not a client client. I have not had time to do a test file and prove this to Servoy, but is does affect a couple of our internal apps and we have reverted to using the developer rather than the client.

Cheers
Gordon McLean
Click Digital Media Ltd
SAN Developer
www.clickdigital.com
Gordon

Postby netweaver » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:03 pm

Hi Gordon
I jsut want to know if you are successfully using this online/offline setup?

I want to provide a similar setup for my logisitics application where my client local solutions publish dat to a central database, without the need for me to setup mobilink for sybase. The central database is only used to publish order data for my clients customers, so they can download canned POD(proof of delivery) documents.

Another option i have thought of is to post transactions to the central database asynchronously using the xml plugin for Dr Maison and Partner.
This way the user can push data via the solution by clicking a button to format the data as an xml document and emailing that to the server via the mail plugin. A scheduled batch job can then update the central database.

Best regards
Marcus Raath
Servoy Developer
South Africa

Gordon wrote:
IT2Be wrote:No way you can do this with MySQL as far as I know but I guess you are looking at the offline functionality.

This can be done with MySQL but its a bit of a pain:

1. You need Developer Smart Client (see Jan Aleman) this is a version of developer with the developer bit disabled and the client enabled with network access (unlike the run time version that has this disabled)

2. You need to set up three versions of your data base specifically:

- One version on your server
- One version that is local
- One version that is effectively in limbo

3. You need to either write or get written a Java call to the server to see if its alive or not - Contact either Marcel or Lee McNeil (Lee sorted it for me)

4. IF the network connection is alive you need to use the data switcher to switch from the limbo data connection to the live connection - and then I guess sync or whatever you want to do (we sync jobs down and upload results that have been collected via the laptop when off line)

5. If the connection is dead use the Data Switcher to switch the data source to the offline local copy of the database. ( all done on load and transparent to the user all they know if its connected is the On-Line flag is visible and their data asks them if they want to sync)

All of this runs using MySQL and so does the Repository for that matter. Dont use the Java polling widget to call the MySQL port because it is not so tolerant to lots of connections - we used port 80

Essentially - this allows you to work off line and then sync your results from either local to server or vice verse. Its also a great potential plugin Marcel ;)

IMPORTANT The data switcher functionality seems to have died on the client version using Servoy 3.5 - it works on developer but when the same file is loaded in client it fails to switch - this may not affect this method as the client is a smart client not a client client. I have not had time to do a test file and prove this to Servoy, but is does affect a couple of our internal apps and we have reverted to using the developer rather than the client.

Cheers
Marcus Raath
Johannesburg South Africa
Servoy 3.5 & Sybase 10
netweaver

Postby antonio » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi, I've had some experience that might be relevant, but it's with Sybase, not mySQL.

As mentioned above by Marcel, Sybase has the Mobilink software, which allows you to synchronise sometimes online databases with a central 'consolidated' db. You can do this with scripts, to customise what datae you want to exchange to ad from the remote site.

There is also another Sybase product, SQL Remote, which does much the same, but without the need for a server. It uses email, FTP or a LAN to synchronise subsets of data.

Both will work with Servoy Runtime, which itself requires Sybase ASA Anywhere. Both will work with Servoy Offline.

Look at this for some more info on Runtime/Offline.

http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=7504
Tony
Servoy Developer Version 5.2.16
Developer MAC OSX 10.8.4 Java version 1.6.0_51
Production Debian Linux Java version 1.6.0_29
antonio

Postby antonio » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:09 am

Tony
Servoy Developer Version 5.2.16
Developer MAC OSX 10.8.4 Java version 1.6.0_51
Production Debian Linux Java version 1.6.0_29
antonio

Postby Marwell » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:56 pm

Unlike other AJAX frameworks that are merely flashy, client-side demos, Servoy web applications use AJAX to execute business rules on the server and then push the changes directly to the browser. Servoy's AJAX implementation allows for nearly the same level of user/application interaction as the native (Mac, Windows, Linux, Solaris) Servoy Smart Client - without having to resort to a browser plug-in or needing to write any additional code.google search google com
For example, calculations are updated, elements can be modified (hidden, shown, dimmed, changed in color, etc.) on the fly. Data is broadcast to all connected clients (LAN and web) - modal and modeless dialogs are supported - the same way as they are in the native client.
The Servoy AJAX implementation is rendered in the browser as pure HTML and CSS, with a very small client-side footprint. Because all of the logic is run server-side, it's also more secure and easier to debug than other AJAX implementations running only on the client side.
Jan Aleman, CEO of Servoy: "Servoy was already the easiest way to build and deploy LAN and web-based applications. With our 3.5 version and the addition of the full AJAX client, we're clearly head and shoulders above the rest."
The three major benefits of Servoy 3.5 include:
- Decreased time to market
- Decreased maintenance
- Single code base eases management and enhancements
I am speaking as a user of a screen reader, and not a screen magnifier,
so I only have experience from one end of the spectrum.
Marwell.
Last edited by Marwell on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marwell

Postby Marwell » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:02 pm

The problem facing more and more companies as they increase their LAN, firewall and proxy security, is - that it is becoming harder and harder to deploy native applications. Servoy 3.5 features cutting-edge technology that allows deployment of Servoy Smart Client over HTTP, rather than requiring companies to open specific firewall ports and update their proxy configurations. Servoy's HTTP tunneling means that all traffic can go over a single, configurable HTTP port - saving IT time and resources.
Servoy 3.5 features new events at both the table level and column level - so that developers are able to create applications that are truly database independent. The new Servoy 3.5 table events mimic those of database triggers - enabling the developer to trigger specific methods every time a record is inserted, updated or deleted on a specific table.
http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=7504
M.
Marwell

Postby Harjo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:12 pm

Hi Marwell, welcome to the forum. :)

You are right about your above statement, but I don't know what this has to do with this topic: Difference between Servoy Runtime & Servoy Offline :?
Harjo Kompagnie
Direct ICT / Servoy Hosting / ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Return to Servoy Offline Client