Servoy on Palm?

Release notes for Servoy betas

Servoy on Palm?

Postby Riccardino » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:10 am

Hi, all

since IBM licensed WebSphere Micro Environment to Palm Solutions Group (so Palm computers will be able to run Java applications), do we have to expect to see, in the future, a palm version of Servoy? :wink:
Riccardino

Postby edward » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:09 am

Riccardino

We have a 'mobile' Servoy product in our sights but no ETA at this point. We are also looking into the possibility of running Servoy on a cell-phone type device through perhaps Flash technology or Java but they are not currently in development.

Thanks for your continued interest
Edward Callaghan
Servoy
edward

Re: Servoy on Palm?

Postby bcusick » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:25 am

Riccardino wrote:Hi, all

since IBM licensed WebSphere Micro Environment to Palm Solutions Group (so Palm computers will be able to run Java applications), do we have to expect to see, in the future, a palm version of Servoy? :wink:

Hi Riccardino,

Do you have a customer that NEEDS this technology? How would you envison using it (i.e what type of application)?

This also sort of begs the question - how about a "runtime" (disconnected and synch on re-connect) version? There are more than a few serious hurdles on that front... but they are "on the drawing boards." If you could provide some insights on how you would use it - and what you feel the demand from your own customers would be - it would be helpful.

Thanks for your comments!

Bob Cusick
bcusick

Re: Servoy on Palm?

Postby Riccardino » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:52 pm

bcusick wrote: Hi Riccardino,

Do you have a customer that NEEDS this technology? How would you envison using it (i.e what type of application)?

For instance, real estate agencies: every salesperson could carry contacts and estate informations. Also, if he has a wi-fi connection of any kind, he could sync the handheld data with the ones stored in repository server.
And what about a workgroup diary (or a phone calls tracking system), updated from the central office and browsable with your Treo when you're out? :-)

bcusick wrote:
This also sort of begs the question - how about a "runtime" (disconnected and synch on re-connect) version? There are more than a few serious hurdles on that front... but they are "on the drawing boards." If you could provide some insights on how you would use it - and what you feel the demand from your own customers would be - it would be helpful.

Thanks for your comments!

Bob Cusick

On the runtime side, I'll try give you some suggestions.
I'm currently working on a eCommerce package.
It has to be reasonably cheap (under 1500 euros), easy to use and to implement, cross platform (but our primary target will be Mac) and so on...
I will use FileMaker Pro, SQL Plugin and MySQL.
But, if I could have a runtime version of Servoy, I'd probably renounce to the compatibility with MacOS Classic in front of having the chance to really interact with SQL backend with a "live" connection (not to mention other cool Servoy's stuff). :wink:

Another example: one of my products is a dental office management system. It's vital that the product could be sold as a standalone, "out of the box" software, even if it's limited to a single user (of course, you should give the customer the chance to upgrade, if needed).

Final consideration: Servoy's client/server architecture is really great, but is "too big" for small business. A runtime version could help Servoy to widen its market area, and this - my friends - is Good ;-)
Riccardino

Return to Latest Releases