Servoy 8.0.0 RC1

Release notes for Servoy betas

Servoy 8.0.0 RC1

Postby jcompagner » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:28 pm

We are pleased to announce the availability of Servoy 8.0.0 release candidate 1 (releasenumber 3019)

This version is available through the download at the Servoy website.

For this release we didn't update the update site, because we updated to Eclipse Mars edition
and for this it better to do a full install then update one, for a Mac this is even mandatory. (because the whole file structure did change)

You could upgrade an exiting installation by first doing a clean install of the RC1
then in your existing installation rename the developer dir to developer_tmp
and copy over the developer dir from the RC1 to the existing installation. If you then start this it will pickup the existing properties file and databases and you can point to the same workspace.
(after that it will ask to upgrade the server part)

Fixes and improvements in this release:

Cell navigator in tableviews with arrow keys or tab
Better tabsequence support for tableviews (jumping in a readonly table by the tab key)
Importing of a solution in an application server with many clones should go really faster now (it doesn't try to update all the column info over all the server/tables in the database) (this is also backported to 7.4.5)
better support for background events (headless client, scheduler plugin) where the callback wants to access ui again.
application.exit()/showUrl improvements
onTabChange -> tabIndex was not correct yet.
Many DBTreeView improvements
Splitpane divider location fixes for remembering the right position
ModalDialog fixes (dialog on dialog and showing the correct gray overlay)
onRecordEditStop event fixes, was not always called through tabpanels
Browser back support for jumping back and forward to main forms.

What will not work or won't be supported yet in the final of 8.0 are the following things:

NGClient:
drag n drop support
onrender
client design mode

In the new designer:
drag n drop forms from the Solution Explorer tree onto the form in a designer (or anything from the solex tree)
template support.

Servoy 8 brings a new client type called NGClient, which is based on HTML5 and webcomponent specifications.
For more details see: New in 8.0

For people that have already created there own components must look at: Specification and then the Data synchronization section.
Because by default nothing is pushed anymore to the server, you have to specify which properties (including dataproviders) should be pushed (are allowed to be pushed) to the server and in what way.

This is all also explained a bit more in detail on the Performance page.

Also check the pages: NGClient deployment and WAR Deployment because NGClient is a WAR only deployment and needs to have specific support for application servers.

Previous release notes: this page
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Re: Servoy 8.0.0 RC1

Postby rafig » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Congratulations on new release!
jcompagner wrote:You could upgrade an exiting installation by first doing a clean install of the RC1
then in your existing installation rename the developer dir to developer_tmp
and copy over the developer dir from the RC1 to the existing installation. If you then start this it will pickup the existing properties file and databases and you can point to the same workspace.
(after that it will ask to upgrade the server part)

I just installed a clean copy on my Mac, but now Eclipse seems to be inside the Servoy application bundle, so there is no Developer directory/folder to copy over to an older install 8-(
How might I go about upgrading, other than exporting my solution & importing it into new version (as well as any plug-ins etc.) ?

Thanks

Rafi
Servoy Certified Developer
rafig

Postby jcompagner » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:18 am

ah yes for that mac that is not so easy, because the developer dir is replaced with the servoy.app dir
i think you can just do that so rename the old developer dir and move the servoy.app dir in that place that should be exactly the same (so your structure should look the same as the new RC1)

You never have to really export your solution and import it, you can just point to that same workspace thats not a problem

But for many it is handier that you also use the old app server dir with the servoy.properties file/databases and servoy plugins.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby rafig » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks, I did that. Seems to work ;-)
rafig

Postby jcarlos » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:22 am

First, congratulations for this new release.

I have a question about the documentation. In the page about the technology stack of Servoy 8 is not mention AngularJS. Check here: https://wiki.servoy.com/display/DOCS/Servoy+stack+info.

I think the NGClient section is missing from this page of the documentation. Right?

Best, JC
Juan-Carlos Sanchez, Stanford University - Law and Economics
jcarlos

Postby pbakker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:45 am

I'd say that page is pretty outdated in multiple area's :-)

Paul
pbakker

Postby Harjo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:28 am

yep, we miss you Paul!! :cry: :wink:
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby rieder » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi

I cannot get this version to start (on OS X 10.11.2). Following error is in the log file. Any ideas?

Thanks and regards
Birgit

!SESSION 2016-01-17 22:06:20.958 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.6.0_65
java.vendor=Apple Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -keyring /Users/birgit/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -keyring /Users/birgit/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

!ENTRY com.servoy.eclipse.core 4 0 2016-01-17 22:06:22.661
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: com.servoy.eclipse.core [5]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.runtime
-> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.core.runtime; bundle-version="3.11.0.v20150405-1723"; singleton:="true"
org.eclipse.core.runtime [81]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.jobs; bundle-version="[3.2.0,4.0.0)"; visibility:="reexport"
-> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.core.jobs; bundle-version="3.7.0.v20150330-2103"; singleton:="true"
org.eclipse.core.jobs [78]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Capability: osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.7))"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:434)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1582)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1561)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1533)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1476)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:340)
Birgit Rieder
7r AG, Switzerland
SAN Developer
http://www.seven-r.ch
rieder

Postby gganea » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:49 pm

Hi,
It looks like Servoy was started with java 1.6. Servoy 8 needs at least java 1.7.
Please try to install the latest JDK http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33151.html and try again.
George Ganea
Servoy
gganea

Postby rieder » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi, thank you for the reply. I had installed Java 8 only. Wehen launching Servoy 8, a dialog told me to install Java 6. Which I did. Now I get the above error. Should I delete 6 and install Java 7?
Regards
Birgit Rieder
Birgit Rieder
7r AG, Switzerland
SAN Developer
rieder

Postby gganea » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:50 pm

Ah, that dialog is a bit misleading. I think OS X shows that when launching Servoy with only a JRE 8 (not a JDK) installed.
On OS X there really needs a JDK to be installed, not just a JRE.
I'd remove the Java 1.6 and install the latest JDK 8 and it should work.
George Ganea
Servoy
gganea

Postby gganea » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:58 pm

Also, Servoy 8.0.2 is released: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21119. It is a bit more stable than the RC build, so if you don't really need that exact build then I'd suggest installing the release version.
George Ganea
Servoy
gganea

Postby rieder » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi
Thank you for your help. JDK made it. Servoy 8.0.2 and JDK 8 runs now on my MacBook Pro with OS X 10.11.
Best regards
Birgit Rieder
Birgit Rieder
7r AG, Switzerland
SAN Developer
rieder

Return to Latest Releases