Speed

Release notes for Servoy betas

Speed

Postby Morley » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:24 am

I've downloaded and installed R2 1.1 rc6-build 257 (but I get virtually identical times with the previous release). I'm running Mac OS X 10.2.6 on a G4 400Mhz with 640Mb RAM.

30 seconds to get to the Servoy splash screen. Another 30 seconds to draw the outlines of the Developer window, another 34 seconds to present the dialogue for choosing a solution, another 46 seconds to fully load the Styles Setup. 2 minutes, 20 seconds in all.

Glacial. Are others having similar performance with similar hardware on Mac? A colleague, also with a G4, is experiencing similar behaviour, so it's not likely just a characteristic of this particular machine.

Comments?
Morley

Postby Neale » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:41 am

No, you're not the only one to be underwhelmed by the speed of Servoy on a Mac :-(

But your times do look excessively long compared to what I've seen (a little over a minute to get the dialogue for choosing a solution, on a G3).

Servoy/Java seems to really like memory - do you have anything else running that's using significant amounts of memory?

Regards,
Neale.

PS: did you really mean "rc6" (latest I've seen announced is rc5)?
Neale

Postby Morley » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:54 am

Neale wrote:No, you're not the only one to be underwhelmed by the speed of Servoy on a Mac :-(

But your times do look excessively long compared to what I've seen (a little over a minute to get the dialogue for choosing a solution, on a G3).

Servoy/Java seems to really like memory - do you have anything else running that's using significant amounts of memory?

Most of the time I'm running Finder, Path Finder, Entourage, a Spam filter app, FileMaker Pro and Safari -- not a collection I've ever before considered particularly taxing on 640Mb of RAM.

I'm looking at building solutions to run on any platform, but given the realities of the marketplace, mostly Windows. With speeds I'm experiencing on my preferred development cpu, Servoy will have difficulties penetrating the Mac market, small though it is.

I had heard from non-Servoy sources that Mac finally has a robust Java environment.

I've not yet had a chance to run Servoy client. I can only hope it's much, much, much faster.
Morley

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:54 am

Servoy developer is certainly not very fast on anything lower than a g4-800. If you think that is a Servoy issue try to run it on: Windows, Solaris, HP Unix, Linux or IBM AIX box and you will notice that it flies on any of these operating systems. The good news is that Apple is catching up Servoy runs very fast on the new G5, another reasone to order one now.

I had heard from non-Servoy sources that Mac finally has a robust Java environment.

I havn't heard that before and I can easily prove this is not correct. They are getting there but still have some work to do.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

I was about to post the same thing today

Postby Thunder » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:19 pm

My 1GHz 17" PowerBook has been running Servoy RC5 VERY slowly for the last week or so - since I imported 6800 records into a contacts list. I had thought that it was either the combination of lots of records and MySQL as a back end, or possibly the fact that round about the same time as importing the records, I began using two fields as indexes for their own value lists. Pretty much everything I did took at least 20 seconds. Moments before posting this as the same question as you, I tried removing the self referenced value lists (one was a title field, Mr, Miss, etc. (although the people who originally populated the database had put hundreds of initials in that field - which I hadn't realised)), the other was a category field, which I also thought was short (and wasn't).

Anyway, as soon as I removed these value lists, it flew again (it is at least as quick as Filemaker on this machine
Thunder

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:04 pm

I don't think creating a valuelist on a title column is a good idea. It's better to have a dedicated valuelist for that in a separate table or to use custom values. IF you need a valuelist that is based on itself make sure to create an index on it to achieve optimal performance
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby dmgraham » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:07 am

Neale wrote:No, you're not the only one to be underwhelmed by the speed of Servoy on a Mac :-(

After hearing such good press I immediately came here to download a demo and try it out. I was so turned off by the performance of the demo (on my PowerBook G4 800) that I discounted the news as hoopla.

In the meantime I read a post where somebody mentioned that it was as fast as FileMaker. So I returned back after the latest Java 1.4.1 update and downloaded the latest beta R2 1.1.1 b6? What a difference from my first experience! I'm not sure if it's due to the latest beta or the latest Java or a combination of the two, but it's looking much better now.

Servoy really needs to replace the demo download with the latest beta. I was also a bit put off with the interface for the sample 'crm' database. It seems as if they wanted to show to the world what a killer app they have, they could come up with something that looked a bit more professional.
David Graham
dmgraham

Return to Latest Releases