Occasionally Connected Computing

Release notes for Servoy betas

Occasionally Connected Computing

Postby Morley » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:48 pm

The laptop has replaced the desktop computer as the "main machine" for an increasing number of users. This is fine for the executive or roaming service techie who downloads a daily schedule snapshot onto the laptop.

But if they need read/write access to a complex database, that database has to be persistent. Which the internet is, sort of, after a fashion. The truth is, laptop connection is occasional, depending on present circumstances.

I understand Servoy has excellent support for Internet connections. I've yet to see any comment on what happens to a Servoy database if the connection is lost in mid transmission, but I assume this issue has been properly addressed.

Is it possible to cache data prior to transmission and then send later once a connection to the base has been re-established? Undoubtedly there are several technical issues, among them how do you handle a situation where someone had changed a field in the meantime.

If the above could be solved, then "occasional connectivity" for databases would be become a practical reality, a great boon to marketing solutions to sales and roving techies everywhere. Comments anyone?

The above is prompted by a thoughtful white paper found at
http://CRM.ITtoolbox.com/r/da.asp?r=7907
Morley

Postby edward » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:18 pm

Great question Morley and hopefully we're already ahead of you. We're investigating the possibilty of a 'disconnected' client with synchronisation when you're back in the office.. We're on the case!
Edward Callaghan
Servoy
edward

Return to Latest Releases