Integrating Servoy Solutions with External Systems

Release notes for Servoy betas

Integrating Servoy Solutions with External Systems

Postby sav » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:46 pm

Hi all-

First, let me say I recently attended a Servoy demo here in the U.S. (Thanks Bob!) and was (and am) awed by the product. As a FMPro developer I was stunned by how easily and quickly tasks that took many an hour of grueling and sometimes tedious effort (note to FM - if there's no support for tabbed interfaces in the mythical version 7.0, that's it - everyone out of the pool!), and of course the ability to link to multiple independent SQL enabled data sources - sigh. Just what the doctor ordered.

I've been proposing Servoy as a tool to develop a custom solution for a particular set of users spread across mulitple locations in a large university system. While those who have looked at Servoy have been impressed by its functionality, I have been asked questions for which I have no answer, so thought I would try posting here.

The essential need is to support automated transmission of aggregate files (composed of data and documents) to a federal clearinghouse that accepts the transmission and subsequently transfers the transmission to a designated recipient. As far as I can tell the clearing house will be using a mechanism based on XML, WSDL and SOAP to both interface with those transmitting data from the outside, and subsequently transferring the transmission to the appropriate recipient. I've also heard references to data messaging, MIME etc. in the context of how data might be prepared and formatted. I believe in a larger sense this functionality may be similar to that provided by enterprise systems like SAP and PeopleSoft, who trumpet their the ability of their applications to interface "seamlessly" with external partners such as suppliers, etc.

So the question is this: would it be possible to develop a solution with this level of automated integration with external systems in Servoy? Is this a situation where some use of beans might be called for? Has anyone tried this yet? If so, how has it gone? Or is it more than Servoy has been designed to do?

I'd be interested in hearing opinions from others.

Thanks!

Steve Van Ness (as a descendant of Dutch settlers it makes me especially proud that Servoy is a Dutch company!)
Boston, MA USA
sav

Postby jcompagner » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:33 pm

You could do it with beans, but i think that a plugin would be much better for such a thing. With plugins you could do almost anything you want and extend servoy as much as you like.

For example if you want to connect to external system on the backend you can make a ServerPlugin which makes that connection for the clients.
jcompagner

Return to Latest Releases