Servoy vs PHP/MySQL

Release notes for Servoy betas

Servoy vs PHP/MySQL

Postby Bert » Thu May 22, 2003 11:39 am

Being a FM-developer I have no understanding of Java at all, deploying advanced solutions with Servoy would mean learning JavaScript too.
As far as I read the developersmanual I think Servoy is absolutly a great tool for building and deploying SQL-databases via a webbrowser

But 6 months ago I started learning PHP and (My)SQL because I walked against (the) limitations of Filemaker and because I want to build stabble and fast web-based solutions wich means that 'every' user in an Intranet or Internet can use the solution.
As I said reading the developersmanual and being a FM-developer knowing the advantages of a GUI I think Servoy is truly a great tool, and developing with PHP/MySQL means typing hard code wich costs more time to develop but I still have a great dilemma here :?

In others words can someone tell me the real difference developing/deploying Servoy or PHP/MySQL or mayby I should use both :idea:

Thanks...
Bert de Graaff
ATB Software Servoy Developer manage your business anywhere
Bert

re: Servoy vs PHP/MySQL

Postby david » Thu May 22, 2003 4:37 pm

I have found that using a Servoy application to manage the backend tables of my Lasso 6 powered site to be a great combination. Sure, I could have written the management application in Lasso...but not in one evening.

There are a number of methodologies used to program a middleware site (Lasso, PHP, Cold Fusion, etc). Even with the speed gains realized by utilizing a methodology (such as one-file, Corral, Fusebox, etc), writing web apps is generally more time consuming than putting together something functionally equivalent in FileMaker.

However, FileMaker has it's limitations as we all know. It is not good as a web backend database. It is not great at controlling other data sources, and it doesn't deploy well over a WAN (unless you spend $40,000 on a Citrix system and then it just flies). I realize I am leaving out all of FileMaker's great features here (and potential work arounds) but these limitations are real nonetheless.

Enter Servoy. To the user it behaves very much like FileMaker -- a find and browse mode, a sort dialog box, the usual forms/lists/tables, portals, etc. -- and when you exit a field, your data is saved. I spent maybe 30 minutes showing my users how to use it and the interface was not in the way of their learning process (these are FileMaker users).

Bonus: client install and management is a breeze and I have users in several far-flung locations using the system at speed (servoy server at the corporate office in Maryland, MySQL server at our ISP in New Hampshire, and clients in MD, PA and NJ!).

One word about JavaScript: as a FileMaker/Lasso developer it didn't take me long to figure it out. And I knew absolutely no JavaScript (and I still don't know much...) yet I'm getting the scripts I need to do done. The method editor is simply a brilliant environment as it has a very logical presentation and tool tips for every object and function to help you learn what you need to know. I believe it would take someone new to FileMaker and Servoy longer to figure out all the intracacies of FM scripting than Servoy scripting. Admit it, some of the scripts we do in FileMaker wouldn't make sense to a developer in any other language :)

Sorry for the long reply. The short answer is that I think you will find Servoy to be a great partner to your PHP development. For some tasks (particularily administrative tasks), Servoy will be much faster to develop in than PHP. You can also deploy your Servoy solution to just about any user just about anywhere. And if you are a good FileMaker developer, you can be productive with Servoy in a very short time.

- david
david

Postby Bert » Thu May 22, 2003 7:35 pm

david wrote:Sorry for the long reply. The short answer is that I think you will find Servoy to be a great partner to your PHP development. For some tasks (particularily administrative tasks), Servoy will be much faster to develop in than PHP. You can also deploy your Servoy solution to just about any user just about anywhere. And if you are a good FileMaker developer, you can be productive with Servoy in a very short time.

- david

Hi David,
Don't be sorry, because I hoped getting such a (long) reply :D
Many issues are quiete clear now, knowing that I can use Servoy for building 'high-end solutions' in a language I'm more familiar with then any other middleware like Lasso or PHP. And I still can deploy PHP for users and visitors who use the information only for searching and/or adding information via a website.

So thanks again for your time and effort,
Bert.
Bert de Graaff
ATB Software Servoy Developer manage your business anywhere
Bert

Postby Harjo » Fri May 23, 2003 10:28 am

Hello David,
Bonus: client install and management is a breeze and I have users in several far-flung locations using the system at speed (servoy server at the corporate office in Maryland, MySQL server at our ISP in New Hampshire, and clients in MD, PA and NJ!).

Can you give us some more information on how to setup such kind of environment? Which kind of lines do you use? I mean broadband, or dial-uplines??
I have tested with some dial-uplines (for the clients) but i can't get satisfying results!
All information would be helpfull!
Harjo

Return to Latest Releases