Servoy 2.2.1 Release Candidate 1

Release notes for Servoy betas

Postby patrick » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:05 pm

This feature is only available if you look at the admin pages of the server, not the developer. But I am also interested on a short description on how to use them...
patrick

Postby ngervasi » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:45 pm

patrick wrote:This feature is only available if you look at the admin pages of the server, not the developer. But I am also interested on a short description on how to use them...

I do look at the admin pages of the server but I can't find any evidence of this new feature. Can u give me some directions?
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Re: Servoy 2.2.1 Release Candidate 1

Postby Karel Broer » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:17 pm

Jan Blok wrote:[new]-spellcheck plugin (spell check support for the English language)

Does that also work on a form in dialog?
Karel Broer
ServoyCamp - http://www.servoycamp.com
Karel Broer

Re: Servoy 2.2.1 Release Candidate 1

Postby Jan Blok » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:24 pm

freecolours wrote:
Jan Blok wrote:[new]-spellcheck plugin (spell check support for the English language)

Does that also work on a form in dialog?

Yes, but you have to call it via your own button on the plugin (you cannot acces the standard toolbar button)
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby Jan Aleman » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:40 pm

In most environments batch processing needs all kinds of workarounds or adjustments, tuning, configuration and more. Not in Servoy, when I asked our engineers to implement a batch processing feature they implemented it so elegantly that when I tried it I couldn't believe that yet another enhancement had been implemented so intuitively. In short:

- Servers can run any amount of batch processors
- Any solution can be a batch processor
- ..simply by setting a startup method in it to do the batch...
- .. then in the admin page tell the server it is the batch processor
- that's it
- additionally: you can use the scheduler plugin in a solution to only run the 'batch' at certain times/intervals or: run in a loop to run continuously. If you run in a loop make sure to put in some sleep() statements once in a while to not use all cpu power of your hosting server.

Because a batch processor is a servoy solution it's very simple to build, maintain and debug.

Servoy Batch Processors: I like them!
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby ngervasi » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:58 pm

jaleman wrote:Because a batch processor is a servoy solution it's very simple to build, maintain and debug.

Servoy Batch Processors: I like them!

Great work!
I already love them and I didn't have sex with them yet... :D
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby ngervasi » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:09 pm

jaleman wrote:- Servers can run any amount of batch processors
- Any solution can be a batch processor
- ..simply by setting a startup method in it to do the batch...
- .. then in the admin page tell the server it is the batch processor
- that's it
- additionally: you can use the scheduler plugin in a solution to only run the 'batch' at certain times/intervals or: run in a loop to run continuously. If you run in a loop make sure to put in some sleep() statements once in a while to not use all cpu power of your hosting server.

Questions:
1) Is it possible to call a method inside of a batch processor from a Servoy Client? I'm thinking about having a batch proc. sitting there and waiting for some client to give him orders, I'm thinking about duplicating large foundset when stored procedures are not an option (MySQL) or performing large server side export, DB to external web site sync, etc.

2) I suppose that being an HC each batch processor will use one client license, am I right?
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:30 pm

1) create a queue. eg. in a table and have the hc check that table for instructions
2) yes, each hc eats one license
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:58 pm

It can be used in many many ways. To try it out I built a reminder system with it for a appointment system. It sends reminders to people by email or SMS (text on phone) a certain interval before an appointment. Very simple Servoy method does a find every minute on messages that are due for sending, sends them and marks them as sent. Built and tested in 15 minutes. I put it live 23 days ago and it has been running without a glitch.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Westy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:12 pm

jaleman wrote:Any solution can be a batch processor

It will be very interesting to hear how people use this. Remote backups using the headless client, reminder systems ... I look forward to hearing ideas.
Westy

Postby kazar » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:05 pm

Westy wrote:It will be very interesting to hear how people use this. Remote backups using the headless client, reminder systems ... I look forward to hearing ideas.

Send queued data to another system that is not online all the time.

Another way to handle transactions: Post-process records that were not available (e.g., were locked) at the time a routine was run.

Write lines of text coming in from a method run by various clients to a single document.

umm.....

kazar
kazar

Previous

Return to Latest Releases