Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE) 5.0 Release 4 for Mac

Release notes for Servoy betas

Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE) 5.0 Release 4 for Mac

Postby john.allen » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:18 am

I presume we should install this but any down side? I think most of us on the Mac Platform have been using 1.5 for a while with Servoy but thought I'd check just to be sure. This will mean that everything will default to 1.5. Any things fixed in this?

Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE) 5.0 Release 4 delivers improved reliability and compatibility for Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 on Mac OS X v10.4.5 and later. This release includes J2SE version 1.5.0_06. With this update J2SE 5.0 becomes the preferred Java version, superseding Java 1.4.2. Java 1.4.2 is still installed on your machine, but applications will run with J2SE 5.0 unless they specifically request Java 1.4.2.

For more details on this Update, please visit this website: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302983
John Allen
Stanford University
john.allen

Postby IT2Be » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:11 am

Hi John,

It is too early to telll if there is a downside. Installed in one mac 3 days ago and on the other 2 days ago but everything seems to be ok. I haven't seen anything change.
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:52 am

Seems fine so far for me as well..but like Marcel said. Too early to really tell.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby coulombre » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:50 pm

FYI I installed this update on a Intel Duo Core Mac mini. Prior to the update I was having all kinds of weird problems in Servoy that were not present on Windows or an older Mac. This update resolved these problems!

Best,

Rich Coulombre
coulombre

Postby IT2Be » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:54 pm

Hi Rich, that is good news.

BTW, now that you started to mention the dual cor Intel... Can you compare it to a G5 machine by your own (or somebody elses) experience?

I have not taken the dive into the Intel world yet but have planned to do so somewhere this year...
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby coulombre » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:44 pm

Hi Marcel,

I use Servoy on both Mac and Windows computers. Java has always been very snappy on Windows, but rather slow on my Mac laptop. Really I should say slow in opening. Once it was open there really were no performance problems.

When the new intel duo core iMacs came out we bought one for our key Servoy developer as a test. The thing smokes! Java and Servoy run every bit as fast as on Windows. Everything is very snappy!

I use a Mac Mini a lot for portability. I keep a wireless keyboard and mouse, power brick and monitor both at work and at home so I only need to carry the Mac Mini back and forth. In fact I bought a very nice case for the Mac Mini for about $20 from Apple. When I get home I can simply plug in the video cable and power brick and I'm ready to go. It is very snappy to boot. The only thing that is a little slow is opening MAMP (MySQL) because it is running in the Rosetta emulation. But it really only take 15 seconds or so.

FYI if portability is not an option I'd suggest going with the 17" iMac. For a few hundred dollars more than the Mac Mini you get a very nice 17" lcd, hardware based graphics processor, iSight camera, simpler memory upgrades, and the ability to have two screens. For about $400 we added a 20" dell screen as an extended desktop, which is great for development. FYI here in the US the 17" iMac sells for about $1200 on Amazon.com.

When I get the time (and courage) I'll try adding Windows boot to my Mac Mini, although I'm not sure if I'll use Boot Camp for dual boot, or Parallels and their virtualization scheme. I really like the idea of not having to dual boot, and having Windows ( or an other OS really) running in a window on the Mac!

Bottom line... Servoy rocks on the new Mac Intel hardware.

Best,

Rich
coulombre

Postby IT2Be » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:53 pm

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the info. I too use both windows and mac (and a little linux) for development and testing purposes. Both as desktop and laptop.

I am not yet into dual-boot for the mac though. Of course my experience comes from virtual pc (to date) but that is really lame.

I agree when it comes down to startup speed on the mac. Even my PowerMac with Dual G5 doesn't give me the feeling that the windows pc gives me so I hoped that would be solved in the near future and you confirmed that :) The other issue I find is with Sybase. The database doesn't 'feel' as good as on the pc. Guess that will take a little longer though :(

As said, thanks again and looking forward to the first 17" MacBook Pro or MacMac. Replace the Power of PowerMac with Mac and you have a MacMac. The new alias of (MeepMeep) Speedy Gonzales...

Cheers
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby Harjo » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:30 pm

MeepMeep??

I thougth that was roadrunner!! :lol:
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp