Developing Solutions with Beta versions

Release notes for Servoy betas

Developing Solutions with Beta versions

Postby kazar » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:28 pm

For new development projects that come underway in the very near future, I would like to build for deployment using Version 3.

I fully understand, of course, that it would not be recommended to deploy solutions using a Beta version of Servoy. But I wonder whether it is considered safe to develop solutions using a pre-release version of Servoy, so long as the repository is eventually exported from, and imported into, the first release version? Or would I be asking for possible application corruption of some kind with that approach?

Thanks,

kazar
kazar

Postby Harjo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:47 pm

Hi Ilyse,

we have allready a (big) web-production in use for almost 8 months now. (started with Servoy 3a9)

Is it advisable to do? I'm not give any answers to that. It tottally depends on your project. We had no choice, so we did it in Servoy 3, because the backend was allready made in Servoy, and the time-span did'nt allow us to do in other code. (what we made in Servoy 3, tottally 2 weeks of development, would have cost us at least 2 months to do it in php,asp, etc..)

Did we had troubles? yes we had some troubles, but by the fantastic support of Servoy they where fixed, the same day.

Does it work? YES it works great! :)

Do we need to test: YES WE DO!!!! every release we have to test the solution over and over again. but hey.. that's not Servoy's fault. That's because we made the choice, using beta-software. :)
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby kazar » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:05 pm

HJK wrote:Did we had troubles? yes we had some troubles, but by the fantastic support of Servoy they where fixed, the same day.

Well, those of us who do go into actual development phase with the pre-release versions end up being the pioneers who help identify any problems, and therefore help Servoy tidy up the product prior to release and serve as the trail-blazer who hack their way through the thorns to clear the path for others.

I have been a Beta tester (ETS) for another piece of software for many years. This other company makes it clear that they will not support any solutions one develops using their pre-release software. Well, who has time to build sophisticated solutions with Beta software that they then need to throw away? So ...

... thanks, Harjo, for being a trailblazer! I may be joining you soon in that regard.

I still have a bit of anxiety that the contents of the repository, if developed at any point using prerelease software, may cause problems further down the road, and I wonder if there has been or could be an "official" statement regarding this.

Does it work? YES it works great! :)

I am SO glad to hear that!

Do we need to test: YES WE DO!!!! every release we have to test the solution over and over again.

Point well taken!

thanks,

kazar
kazar

Postby Harjo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:41 am

kazar wrote:I still have a bit of anxiety that the contents of the repository, if developed at any point using prerelease software, may cause problems further down the road, and I wonder if there has been or could be an "official" statement regarding this.

I don't think that is a problem, because, Servoy itself, runs there in-house solutions in Servoy 3.
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby bcusick » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:31 pm

Well, "officially" you shouldn't run production solutions using Beta software.

HOWEVER, we (Servoy) have been running webclient on our site for quite a long time, and there are several other customers doing the same.

Since we're a couple of months away from the "official" release - you can start building solutions in 3.0. Because, in our experience, by the time you get it built (ususally a couple of months) - 3.0 final will be released.

If you need to deploy in the next 4 weeks, then you could use 2.2.5 and upgrade to 3.0 when released.

It's really a matter between you and your client.

Hope this helps.
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Return to Latest Releases