Looking for Docs for Servoy v. 3.0 Beta RC3, esp Dev Docs

Release notes for Servoy betas

Looking for Docs for Servoy v. 3.0 Beta RC3, esp Dev Docs

Postby konsta » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:31 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of pdf versions of the Beta docs? I've looked everywhere I can think of and I can't seem to find them. I'm not sure if I did something wrong in my installation, but clicking on help inside Servoy v. 3.0 RC3 produces a help window with no content.

---Andrew
:?:
Andrew Konstantaras
konsta@speakeasy.org
konsta

Re: Looking for Docs for Servoy v. 3.0 Beta RC3, esp Dev Doc

Postby mnorman » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:51 pm

konsta wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of pdf versions of the Beta docs? I've looked everywhere I can think of and I can't seem to find them. I'm not sure if I did something wrong in my installation, but clicking on help inside Servoy v. 3.0 RC3 produces a help window with no content.

---Andrew
:?:

Hi Andrew,

Because Servoy functionality and features are constantly being added,
changed and refined during the development phase - including beta
and RC (pre-release candidate) versions - of Servoy, documentation in all
of its formats is only available for released versions.

Depending in part on last minute additions and changes, the printed
versions of Servoy documentation are generally available for purchase 1
to 2 weeks after a new release from the Servoy Store; and the PDF versions
get updated and are ready for downloading shortly after that time.

Due to requests from Servoy developers like yourself, an announcement
will be posted in the Servoy Forum when the new Servoy documentation
has been released - including a detailed list of features and functions that
have been enhanced and/or modified.

Postby rioba » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:00 am

I have the same problem with rc3. If you are looking for a particular topic, you can try the Search: it works. However the docs included in rc3 seem to be the same of Servoy 2.2.4, so they are not really useful.
rioba

Help File

Postby konsta » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:04 am

Thanks for responding so quickly (and for verifying that I am not insane).

Is the help functionality still a work in progress or does my empty help sound like an installation error?

To provide a little more detail on my help issue: when I click on help, the help window opens, I see the copyright notice, but nothing else is accessible - via contents tab, index tab or search. When I look at the Documentation subdirectory, there are a lot of files, including a toc.xml, which purports to be a javadocs file. It also has a toc that seems to correspond to the numbered html files. I am not familiar with javadocs, so I'm not sure if there is something special I was supposed to do.

Any thoughts?

---Andrew

P.S. If I prepared a pdf based on the help, would you be opposed to my posting it here for others to use?
Andrew Konstantaras
konsta@speakeasy.org
konsta

oops, Search works

Postby konsta » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:00 am

I retried the search feature and you are correct, it does produce results. I ran a comparison between the old and new developer_manual directory and your assumption is correct, the search in 3.0 produces results from the 2.25 help files.

So, I guess that answers my question about the help file. Is this forum the only place we can find out about the new features and functions of Servoy 3.0?

---Andrew
Andrew Konstantaras
konsta@speakeasy.org
konsta

Postby patrick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:07 am

Come on, guys. You are testing (!) pre-release software when using Servoy 3. You don't really expect documentation to be available while not even all the features of the product to be documented are already there/finalized? :?
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Postby bcusick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:32 pm

We do not provide "beta" documentation, beyond the sample code on the new functions - and the release notes that are with every build:

http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=6935

Hope this helps.
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Got it and an admittedly wordy response to *Come on, guys*

Postby konsta » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:34 pm

Thanks Bob, I (we) were just wondering if there was something more.

Patrick, the tone of your message seems to indicate you might be responding to a different conversation or at least to elements that don't exist in this thread. I apologize to anyone (especially Servoy) if my posts sound crticial of Servoy, that was not my intention.

That being said, I hear in your post a chastisement which I hope you did not intend. There are many more people who read posts than make them and I think a big part of the reason for that is that a lot of us don't want to appear to be asking stupid questions.

I am a big believer in the power of community and I think together we can get a lot more done than working separately. I am not saying that your response was offensive but given that I have only made three posts to this forum (and rioba has only made 27, which combined with my paltry 3 is still miniscule in comparison to your 1,698), I think your response might have been a bit too critical, even if the question was stupid.

On the substantive side, while this *is* testing software, it is not alpha, nor is it even beta. In fact, it is "release candidate 3," which in the software world is pretty close to being ready to ship. Furthermore, there are some development methodologies (albeit more popular in academia than in practice) which call for documentation to be drafted (not finalized) before development begins. So asking about whether something existed, even in draft form, at this stage in the game seemed perfectly reasonable.

This post is much longer than I intended. In fact I was just going to send this to you in a private message, but I changed my mind when I realized this simple question had been viewed 62 times. I think that the Servoy team has put together an amazing product and that it is developing an equally amazing community of developers and users who will be able to make a huge impact.

I've been lurking as a SAN member for over 2 years and I've recently decided to tap into Servoy's potential in the past couple of weeks, which has led me to see some of the great resources created by both Servoy and this community.

I do not mean to be overly critical of your response, but I really wanted to reach out to other current and future lurkers and invite them to participate more. There are many times that I have read (and appreciated) questions that were deemed less-than-brilliant by other more vocal participants.

I suppose, this is more than enough said.

Thanks again Bob for responding so quickly and for the post. If you could let us know when any additional documentation is available (even in draft form), that would be greatly appreciated.

---Andrew
Andrew Konstantaras
konsta@speakeasy.org
konsta

Postby patrick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Hello Andrew, I didn't mean to sound offensive. I just thought that this question comes a bit early...

Sorry, Patrick
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Docs coming soon

Postby BDuncan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:13 am

FYI - We do have 3.0 docs in process. We anticipate making them available for pre-order at ServoyWorld. (Sept 25).
BDuncan

Return to Latest Releases