Exceptions - menus not responding.

Release notes for Servoy betas

Exceptions - menus not responding.

Postby droosan » Thu May 29, 2003 2:39 pm

I have installed Developer on my G3 iMac, and started messing with it. When I tried to create a table I got an exception (something about "couldn't find the token" which was my column/field name) and then menus stopped responding.

Looking over the manual I see the Developer requires a G4? So am I out-of-luck?

That would be a real shame. I think Servoy is what, at one time, I hoped Filemaker 5.0, would be.
droosan

re: Exceptions - menus not responding.

Postby Bert » Thu May 29, 2003 8:21 pm

What version of OSX do you use (minimal 10.2) and what version of JDK (1.3.1. is OK but 1.4.1 is recommended)?
Bert de Graaff
ATB Software Servoy Developer manage your business anywhere
Bert

re: Exceptions - menus not responding.

Postby droosan » Fri May 30, 2003 3:51 pm

Bert wrote:What version of OSX do you use (minimal 10.2) and what version of JDK (1.3.1. is OK but 1.4.1 is recommended)?

OS10.2.6. It appears that Java 1.4.1 is installed. Is there a way to check that it is all correct?
droosan

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri May 30, 2003 5:16 pm

Is it a reproduceable problem? or did it just happen once. We have quite a few clients running on G3 machines with no problems. One of our testing machines is actually a G3.

Servoy will work on a G3, the reason we recommend a G4 is because java is not very fast on a G3 at this point in time.

Jan
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Guest » Fri May 30, 2003 10:17 pm

jaleman wrote:Is it a reproduceable problem? or did it just happen once.
Jan

Re-testing, it seems that things work as they should until I try to add a field to a Table. Then I get "exception: error creating table, sql error -104... token not found" and all the menus stop responding. This happens consistently. I have tried adding fields to new table and I have tried adding field to the example tables

Maybe I am not setting up my datasources properly. Is there a tutorial somewhere that goes through how to create a form based on a new table?

Postby Jan Aleman » Sat May 31, 2003 1:04 am

which backend database are you connecting to? the default firebird database? what kind of fields are you trying to create?
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Exceptions when trying to creat columns

Postby droosan » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:07 pm

jaleman wrote:which backend database are you connecting to? the default firebird database? what kind of fields are you trying to create?

I think so.

Here is what I tried just now:
1) Start Servoy
2) File menu>New Solution "Test3" ok

3)
Using Server: "user_data"
Using Style: "none"
Form Name: "Form3"
*New Table: "Table3"
>ok

4)
In Window labelled: Define Dataproviders for [user_data] - table3
In Columns Tab
>New --> a new column appears.
Label it "first"
>New --> a new column appears.
Label it "last"
>Apply

And here is the screen shot: http://adaza.com/copy/servoyerror.jpg

The same thing happens when I try to create a new column in an example table in example_data.

Is my backend server not setup correctly? I haven't done anything to set up a data server.

Again, a from-scratch tutorial would be nice. Is there one somewhere?
droosan

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:19 pm

It looks like first and last are reserved words in Firebird, can you try to use different column names to see if that solves the problem? If it solves let us know so we can add it to the reserved words list that will automatically warn when you try to use them.

We are working on a Quick Start guide that will be released very soon. That guide will provide a step by step introduction to using Servoy.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby droosan » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:51 pm

"first" was apparently the problem. I tried "firstnm" and lastnm" and was able to set up the table.

I ran into a number of problems trying to import data from a text file. The import wizard window didn't redraw properly, making it difficult to figure out what was going on. But I eventually got through it, only to throw an exception at finish. I think the problem was that the primary key column table4id was not filling properly in the new record creation. Then I went back and tried to fix that but it wouldn't let me change the primary key.

Thank you very much for your help here. I am impressed that you have been so prompt and thorough in helping me get going. I really think Servoy has very great potential but at the moment it seems too rough for me to make use of. I will try again once the project is a bit further along.

jaleman wrote:It looks like first and last are reserved words in Firebird, can you try to use different column names to see if that solves the problem? If it solves let us know so we can add it to the reserved words list that will automatically warn when you try to use them.

We are working on a Quick Start guide that will be released very soon. That guide will provide a step by step introduction to using Servoy.
droosan

Return to Latest Releases