Another Sybase install failure

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Another Sybase install failure

Postby lucidlee » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:29 am

Sorry about the length of this post but I felt it best to add as much as I could to differentiate my problem from the others, and being a novice in the SQL/*NIX world must admit to being clueless about what is or isn't relevant. :oops:

After a complete reinstall of Servoy r2 up to 2.0.4 build 277 I'm unable to get Sybase started up as the repository server.
Previously I had a fully functional Servoy setup, ie Sybase repository was working but I was unable to install Sybase Central.
Now I've been able to get it installed by uninstalling everything Servoy, downloading and reinstalling the Sybase Anywhere package ( 9.0.1) and then reinstalling and upgrading Servoy 2 till I get to 2.0.4. But now when I start up Servoy it complains as follows:
org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBSQLException: Resource Exception. I/O error during "open" operation for file "/Applications/Data/Servoy/database/SERVOY.GDB"
Error while trying to open file
null
Reason: I/O error during "open" operation for file "/Applications/Data/Servoy/database/SERVOY.GDB"
Error while trying to open file
null

Meanwhile I can't find the Sybase server in the process viewer and Sybase Central reports no running engine. If I go to the sybase_db directory and try starting the engine directly by double clicking on dbsrv9 I get the following terminal output:
/Applications/Data/Servoy/sybase_db/dbsrv9; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
[HumDinger:~] lucidlee% /Applications/Data/Servoy/sybase_db/dbsrv9; exit
dyld: /Applications/Data/Servoy/sybase_db/dbsrv9 can't open library: libdbserv9_r.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

but the file is here
[HumDinger:~] lucidlee% /Applications/Data/Servoy/sybase_db/libdbserv9_r.dylib
so I don't understand why it fails to find it.
There is no sybase.log so I guess the engine never fires up. When I check the DB Server Preferences for the standard databases (repository_server etc) they all specify the firebird driver:
jdbc:firebirdsql:localhost/3050:%%user.dir%%/database/SERVOY.GDB?lc_ctype=WIN1252
yet servoy.properties shows this
# Definition 1
server.0.serverName=repository_server
server.0.URL=jdbc\:sybase\:Tds\:localhost\:2638?ServiceName\=servoy_repository&CHARSET\=utf8
server.0.driver=com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybDriver
and other definitions are similar. Also sybase.config shows this
-ti 0 -x tcpip{dobroadcast=no} -qs -qw -o sybase_db/sybase_log.txt
database/servoy_repository.db
database/user_data.db
database/example.db
database/log_data.db
database/crm.db
which seems pretty much as it should be, so what is the problem and how do I recover from this snafu?

Lee
Mac G4 512Mb RAM, Macosx 10.3.5, Java 1.4.2
Additional info: I did have 3 servoy directories - two with a Firebird repository, one other with Sybase which I used most often and recently with success except I could never get Sybase Central to install.
lucidlee

Update on fsilure

Postby lucidlee » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:00 pm

I've just reinstalled Servoy 2.0.4 again and now I have (or had) a fully functioning developer. I say 'had' because after creating a few database connections and the like I've now encountered a showstopper bug.

After updating to v2.1 rc4 I'm now getting a stall in the application load phse. Specifically, the application load process doesn't complete, freezing while loading plug-ins.
Lee Rydstrand
quipu pty ltd
lucidlee

Postby jcompagner » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:26 pm

what happens if you just do a clean 2.1RC4 install (Different directory!!!)
and when you start it make sure there is no sybase running.
Do you then get the default working installation on sybase?
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby lucidlee » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:24 am

Erasing and then reinstalling seems to have done the trick - but now I'm nervous that this problem will recur and that the only solution is to reinstall. I would really like to know how/where to trouble shoot these sort of mishaps - or is that an old-fashioned way to deal with them?

Also, and I don't know if its connected, but my previous failure to startup (stuck at load plugins) came after I downloaded the manual and then restarted Servoy.

To tempt fate i've just gone through that procedure again, but succesfully restarted.

Fingers crossed.
Lee Rydstrand
quipu pty ltd
lucidlee

Postby swingman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:21 am

I think I have hit the same or a very similar problem trying to install version 2.1 on Mac OS X 10.2.6 where I have had 2.0.4 running fine.

Sybase does not start, so Servoy can't find the repository.
Using the terminal I see the following:

I have made clean installs deleting everything first and restarting the mac...

What is going on? Is this a Mac OS 10.2 bug or a Sybase problem?
Attachments
terminal.jpg
It does not understand that dbsrv9 is an executable...
terminal.jpg (51.03 KiB) Viewed 29415 times
swingman

Postby swingman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:30 am

I have checked the enviroment variables using the

Code: Select all
env

command in the tcsh shell and there was no mention of a path to the sybase directory. Not sure if this is neccesary, but I then added the following paths

/Applications/Servoy/sybase_db
/Application/Servoy

to the paths in my .tcshrc and

dbsrv9

is found and executes.
But when I start Servoy Developer it still fails to start sybase.
swingman

Postby swingman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:50 am

I have just discovered that the
"startup launcher" setting in Application Preferences/Designer was empty.
I filled it in with the value from a working installation.

And now Servoy works!
swingman

Postby swingman » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:53 am

Just a postscript to my struggles.
Two days later the harddisk on the server crashed. It was an old disk which had been used intensively for over 4 years.

The crash had nothing to do with Servoy or Sybase -- and it explains why I had all those strange problems!

Once the server had been rebuilt using a new harddisk I installed again and everything worked in the first attempt :-)
swingman

Return to Installation