New Install Problem : Category: Invalid Argument error

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Re: New Install Problem : Category: Invalid Argument error

Postby Harjo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:07 pm

You say some.... are those the ones with problems??

we use SAAS, so we dont have full control, over the used java version, but yes, seeing in the log's there are people using java 1.6_26, without any problem
Harjo Kompagnie
byKom B.V.
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby Robert Huber » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi Harjo

Harjo wrote:You say some.... are those the ones with problems??

we use SAAS, so we dont have full control, over the used java version, but yes, seeing in the log's there are people using java 1.6_26, without any problem

No, not only the ones in the domain are affected, all Windows 7 clients have this problem - we have 14 different Windows 7 machines (all installations are not older than 2 months), ALL are showing the same behaviour. The broken startup, as I call it, appears randomly, but stable within 2 or 3 days. The problem most likely is not related to the server, as we have a Windows 2008 R2 and a Mac OS X 10.6.x server.
It is very hard for me to believe we are the only ones affected by this error. May be a reappearance of the bug described in the Sun (Oracle) bug database? We have upgraded some machines to Java 1.6.0_30, the startup error remained.

The temporary solution, which didn't break for the last 2 days, is changing the Target: in properties of the Link (desktop icon) from the default created target, which points to the xml file in the cache, something like C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe -localfile "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\35\59d1c063-476e4590"

to

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe http://<application-server-ip>:<port>/servoy-client/<application>.jnlp

I assume Servoy uses the cached file startup version because of speed reasons?

Thanks for all the help so far,
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
Robert Huber

Postby tgs » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi Robert,

please specify a little bit more the PC installation! I think we need more detailed information about the configuration.

- Win7 Prof.?
- 32 or 64 bit?
- Java 32 or 64 bit or both on the machine?
- default installations like antivirus-, cachecleaner software or anything else like this?

I have checked a couple of our customer client PC's running Win 7 Prof./Ultmate in a domain and also not. All of them are starting the Servoy Smart Client by the desktop shortcut every workingday without any problem since a long time (many month to over a year!).

Regards
Thomas Schnaus
SAN Developer
yomotec GmbH
tgs

Postby jcompagner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Robert Huber » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Thomas

The Windows PCs are set up as follows:
- Windows 7 Enterprise (32 Bit) with SP1, all updates to date made
- Processor IntelCore2 6600, 2.4 GHZ (not all machines have this processor, but many)
- RAM varies from 2GB to 4GB
- Java 1.6.0_26-b03 or Java 1.60._30 (both version have Java 32 Bit)
- Sophos as Antivirus Scanner

4 of our machines are with these settings, i. e. in a minimal configuration, others have more software like Office etc. installed.

Regards,
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
Robert Huber

Postby Robert Huber » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi Johan

It looks somewhat like described under this URL. The first 3 lines of the java.io.FileNotFoundException error are the same, the remaining lines differ, as can be seen on page 1 of this post in the top of the 2 screenshots in my first post (tab Gekapselte Ausnahme). In this screens it also can be seen that there is no whitespace in the path as mentioned in the Oracle bug database for the cause of this error.

If the startup is broken (happens still within a couple of hours), we can see that the file originally referenced in the link (desktop icon), is NOT in the cache any more. Which process does change this file and when does it do that? Is it a background process of Java Web Start or does it happen when the app (desktop icon) is double clicked?

For example, when the app is installed, path and file looks as follows:

"C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\35\59d1c063-476e4590"

When the startup is broken, the file 59d1c063-476e4590 is not there any more, but another file (with another name) exist which previously did not exist at this place. But the path in the desktop icon still references the "old" file (that's the cause for the broken startup).

I tried to find a description of how Java Web Start works in detail to understand what's going on here but did up to now not find such a description. Anyone can explain?

Regards,
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
Robert Huber

Postby jcompagner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:47 pm

i guess that is webstart itself, removing the old file, because the server gave a new one,
it should also update the shortcut if it does get a new file.
That seems to me the bug in webstart, don't know why you exactly see that and others don't
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Robert Huber » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Johan

jcompagner wrote:i guess that is webstart itself, removing the old file, because the server gave a new one,
it should also update the shortcut if it does get a new file.

In normal operation the shortcut gets really updated, i. e. the file name in the Java cache (sandbox) does change? When does it change? I think I saw the same file name even after I imported a new solution, but I am not 100% sure.

jcompagner wrote:That seems to me the bug in webstart, don't know why you exactly see that and others don't

That's what I am asking myself as well ... (and where is the difference?)

Regards,
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
Robert Huber

Postby jcompagner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:11 am

New solution doesn't matter, that is not something webstart knows anything about. A server jar update (Servoy itself or plugin jars) or maybe even a server restart could cause that the main jnlp file is updated
jcompagner

Postby Robert Huber » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:51 am

jcompagner wrote:New solution doesn't matter, that is not something webstart knows anything about. A server jar update (Servoy itself or plugin jars) or maybe even a server restart could cause that the main jnlp file is updated

I searched on the web and found quite a few threads related to the problem we have. Beside descriptions of the whitespace problem (occurring on Windows XP because of the use of the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<username\...) and listing certain Java versions having this problem, I found one of them said they could fix the problem by putting the following line to JNLP File: <update check="always" policy="always"></update>
The Servoy default for this seems to be "timeout" and "always".
Could this be a solution to the problem?

Regards,
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
Robert Huber

Postby jcompagner » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:51 pm

thats hard to say, without just testing it..
problem is as far as i see that that is a Java 6.0 property.. so don't know if we just can add it.. (will java 5 install just always ignore that?)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Previous

Return to Installation