Java 1.4.2 available for OSX

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Java 1.4.2 available for OSX

Postby Bert » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:15 am

Thought you might like to know but Apple today released Java 1.4.2.
Did install it but can't share any experience at this very moment.
Bert de Graaff
ATB Software Servoy Developer manage your business anywhere
Bert

Re: Java 1.4.2 available for OSX

Postby BruceR » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:11 am

Bert wrote:Thought you might like to know but Apple today released Java 1.4.2.
Did install it but can't share any experience at this very moment.
Yeah, dropdown menus work correctly!
BruceR

Postby drookwood » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:35 am

Following update to java 1.4.2 all menus grey out after 1 or 2 switches into and out of designer mode!

I have tried both 1.2 and 2rc3 with same results - at the moment this makes my machine unusable - I have to quit servoy and restart to regain menus, which go again after a couple of switches!
drookwood

Postby jcompagner » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:01 pm

that really looks like a bug from apple
(if we enable/disabled menu items of a window that is not in front, apple doesn't see that change anymore when that window gets to front)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:21 pm

We've found a work around for this rather fascinating Apple bug. 2.0Rc5 will work on mac java 1.4.2
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Nope, still not fixed.

Postby Thunder » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:59 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHH!!!

I had this problem. Menu's disabled. There was nothing to do but an archive/reinstall of Mac OS X to bring back Java 1.4.1. Thankfully, it is a relatively quick process and doesn't mess with preferences, settings etc. The main problem is you also have to reinstall all the updates since 10.3 again - an hour or so on broadband.

Although a sledgehammer cure, it solved the problem and I was able to continue developing.

I have now updated to v. 2 RC6 (I had been developing in 1.2 when I had my Servoy menus crisis before).

From the forum thread about this problem: [fix]-found workaround for menu bars graying out under the mac 1.4.2 release http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=1280

Based on that, I figured that it was okay to reupdate to java 1.4.2 - dumb dumb dumb... I now have EXACTLY the same problem all over again.

Unless anyone knows if there is something special I need to do to enable the fix, I am going to have to reinstall my system... AGAIN...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH...
Thunder

Postby jcompagner » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:22 pm

That is very strange. Other mac users are saying that is is fixed. Here on the mac i test the menu's are fine.

What are you exactly doing? When are they going grayed out?
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Thunder » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Johan.

After this problem showed up originally, I reinstalled 10.3.2 in order to get back to Java 1.4.1.

I decided recently (after speaking to Jan Aleman) that it was time to switch to R2 and saw that with rc5 had been introduced a fix to the Java 1.4.2 problem which I had originally had with Servoy Developer 1.2 so I installed rc6 - assuming that it had the same fix that rc5 had introduced for the Apple Java problem. I reinstalled Java 1.4.2.

With rc6 I switched to design mode and back to browse once, everything fine, then switched again and in design mode, all menus apart from elements was grayed out. Restarted Servoy developer, menus back, switch twice, menus gone. Restarted machine, same issue. Reinstalled Servoy developer and restarted, same issue.

I have now reinstalled (archive and install) OS X 10.3 again + all updates. It is now working but I am EXTREMELY reluctant to go anywhere near Java 1.4.2 again... Looks like it's going to be Java 1.4.1 for me for the rest of time...
Thunder

Postby Jan Aleman » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:40 am

Please note that BETA6 which you can download on the main pages is not the same as RC6 (Release candidate 6). Please follow the instructions that are included with each new release on the forum carefully before posting any false alarms. They cost both you (re-installing software) and us (time of our testing and dev-team) a huge amount of time.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby jcompagner » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:09 am

you say that it did gray out when you switch from browse to design?
I think that is different then before because then it happens when you switched from design to browse.

I did some more scanning through the code to check if we had more things like the one i fixed. I did found some small things that i fixed now but normally you wouldn't trigger that. What kind of form did you view? Was there something like record locking?

If you can please test it again with RC7 and then use for example the styles solution as an example.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Harry Catharell » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:55 pm

OSX 10.3.2
R2 2.0 beta6

Open up any solution (whether it be custom built, crm or styles)
The menu bar will grey out when you go to Design mode and then return to browse.

Can somebody tell me the definitive way to defeat this problem ?

Thanks
Harry
Harry Catharell

Postby Jan Aleman » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:06 pm

Upgrade to RC6. NOTE that RC6 (Release candidate) is not the same as B6 (BETA)

Follow the instructions in the posting of RC6 carefully.

http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=1354
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Harry Catharell » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:15 pm

Thanks Jan,

I will try this immediately

Harry
Harry Catharell

Postby Harry Catharell » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:44 pm

OK upgrade process has taken me to R2 2.0 rc6 - build 265

At first test the menu problem seems to have disappeared.

Will report any related issues if they appear.

For reference to those developers who may not have upgraded to rc6 yet :

The auto update worked fine once I had downloaded the new 'servoy_developer.jar' file via this thread :
http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=1136

It may not be obvious (and it wasn't to me !) that you must :

1) overwrite your existing 'servoy_developer.jar' file in the servoy folder
2) quit Servoy
3) open 'servoy_properties' in a text editor and ensure that the last line is : wantsBetaCodeNotifies=true
4) launch Servoy
5) choose to download the update via the upgrade dialogue box
6) restart Servoy
7) follow points 5) & 6) and choose to download and install each subsequent update until you get to rc6 at which point the download upgrade prompt will not appear !

The new 'servoy_developer.jar' file fixes the autoupgrade issue but reverts you to rc2 (if I recall correctly) and this means that you must run through the download process for each interim release up to the latest rc6 !!

Harry
Harry Catharell

Postby Bert » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:55 pm

Harry Catharell wrote:The new 'servoy_developer.jar' file fixes the autoupgrade issue but reverts you to rc2 (if I recall correctly) and this means that you must run through the download process for each interim release up to the latest rc6 !!

It works, haven't tested it yet but the upgrade works exactly like Harry discribed and all seems OK just by clicking trough some forms :D
Upgraded from 2.0 RC2 > 2.0 RC6 on OSX 3.2 and Java 1.4.2

Thanks Harry...
Bert de Graaff
ATB Software Servoy Developer manage your business anywhere
Bert

Return to Installation