Import from another PC

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Import from another PC

Postby Yummy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi,

I guess this is probably not the propoer way to do this hence why I need to post and have an error ....

I have 2 PC's at differnet locations which I want to use at different times to develop the same solution. Ok so what I did was, I export the solution from 1 PC and tried to import onto the second PC but it said the solution existed. So I went into devloper and then deleted the solution from the second PC and then tried to import when I got this error:

error] com.servoy.j2db.persistence.RepositoryException: There is already a solution with the name canteen

I have deleted the solution from Developer and it it doesn't show in the All Soltions (sounds like the delete doesn't do what it says it does !) but I can't import it cause the server thinks its there, I suppose I could uninstall Servoy but that seems a bit drastic.

So first off how can I import the solution and is this the correct approach to take if I'm developin g asolution on multiple PC's?

Thanks.
Yummy

Re: Import from another PC

Postby Kahuna » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:43 pm

One method I have used Yummy

I use an on-line sync service called DropBox, and I hold my workspace for my developer in there. I can access this DropBox area on any PC I have internet access to (and the files are downloaded to each PC and synced automatically). On the second PC open Developer and set it to use the DropBox workspace. You'll find both PC's will be up to date.

Gotcha's:

1. Don't open the workspace on both PC's at the same time as the synch software will create a 'conflicted copy' and you will need to decide which wins?
2. Assumes you are using just the workspace to develop your solution rather than the repository.
3. You'll need to decide if the Db your solution connects too needs to be synced too, or if it does not change too regularly you could just use a SQL dump and save it on the DBox directory too - extract it to the relevant PC when you know its changed.
3. When done developing on either PC leave it web connected for sufficient time for the DBox software to update the web version - then you can close down.

Alternative is to use SVN - but I've discovered that's really slow and needs some discipline to sync and commit / update on a schedule so's you know you have the up to date stuff on your relevant PC. Even then you've still got to deal with the Db issues.
HTH
(Servoy Version: 6.0.7 Win XP / 7 - SQL Server 2008 R2)
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby Yummy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:55 pm

Sounds like you have an environment which is able to keep in step. Unfortuantely theres no way I can ensure both PCs are connected or able to connect to each other (firewalls etc).

Ok I discovered theres a delete in the server which is what I did and that imported the solution fine. But now in Developer (I had deleted the solution) I can't tried to create a new project with the same name as what I deleted but when I try and select the solution (as it imported successfully) it wont let cause it says the solution exists ... the error message is:

Cannot checkout canteen :
Project with name 'Canteen' already exists in the workspace.

Ok I went to the workspace and renamed all folders which said 'Canteen' bvut it still says the error.

I may do the uninstall to solve this but is there a simple and easy way to keep 2 PCs in sync - thx for the suggestion Ian but that wont be possible for me.
Yummy

Postby Kahuna » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Yummy wrote: thx for the suggestion Ian but that wont be possible for me.

No Probs Yummy - Sorry I cant help on your import challenge, but just as quick and dirty method for syncing two PC's you could always host your workspace and your Db on a USB Stick. Don't know what the speed implications would be but I know it works as I used that a couple of weeks ago to demo development on a netbook a friend has. Its easy to move from PC to PC and just takes a restart of developer to be up to speed (don't forget a back up though LOL).

Best of luck.
(Servoy Version: 6.0.7 Win XP / 7 - SQL Server 2008 R2)
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby jcompagner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:55 pm

how did you get those 2 installations?
did you copy them over to each other?

Because thats not possible the same repository (with the same uuid) cant exist in 2 locations.

The best thing to do is to create a new repository one 1 location and then import it there once.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby stefanoni » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:39 am

Kahuna wrote:I use an on-line sync service called DropBox, and I hold my workspace for my developer in there. I can access this DropBox area on any PC I have internet access to (and the files are downloaded to each PC and synced automatically). On the second PC open Developer and set it to use the DropBox workspace. You'll find both PC's will be up to date.

This seems to be an incredible easy way to work on PC and laptop during my business travels, or holiday support needs.
Thank you very much !
A question to make sure:
Do you really think it works fine with the repository database (in my case postgres) too ?
That means, I could move the complete Servoy Install (server/developer/workspace) to myDropBox and work on it
from everywhere ?
Regards
Alessandro Stefanoni ---- gigdoodle.ch ---- stefanoni.ch ----
Stefanoni Informatik Gmbh, CH-8200 Schaffhausen
Switzerland
stefanoni

Postby ROCLASI » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Alessandro,

If you want to work on that same install from *anywhere* then I suggest you setup a server with it all installed and then RDC/ARD/VNC in to work on it.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby stefanoni » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:24 pm

ROCLASI wrote:If you want to work on that same install from *anywhere* then I suggest you setup a server with it all installed and then RDC/ARD/VNC in to work on it.

Yes I see that. I think this will be latest at this moment, when I set up my first Servoy Server for the public users, hopefully beginning of 2011 :D
Alessandro Stefanoni ---- gigdoodle.ch ---- stefanoni.ch ----
Stefanoni Informatik Gmbh, CH-8200 Schaffhausen
Switzerland
stefanoni

Return to Installation