Upgrading Server 4 to 5

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Upgrading Server 4 to 5

Postby msedita » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:48 pm

HI - Any best practices on upgrading a live servoy application (server only, not development) from version 4 to 5. Especially on conversion of repository and live data. Thanks.
Michael Sedita
MS Health Software Corp.
Developers of software solutions for behavioral healthcare and social service providers.
www.mshealth.com
msedita

Re: Upgrading Server 4 to 5

Postby michel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:22 am

Notice that events now can have (more) arguments (event object), if a method was used as an event method and was also called from code this can be a problem and has to be fixed in the code.
After a clean install of Servoy 5 (application server only, no developer) the application server didn't start. We had to start the application server with the option "-upgradeRepository", after this it started okay. (filed a case for this)
Then we copied our user-database and imported our solution using an export created by servoy 5 developer.

Kind regards,
Michel van Klink
Vision Development
michel

Postby richh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Scenario: Windows XP running Servoy 4 as a service with SQL Anywhere v10 running as a service.
A clean installation of Servoy 5, including Sybase version 11.0.1.2044, proceeds with no reported problems.

With a new installation of Sybase Central (version 11), I convert my main client database from 10 to version 11.
I create a service for SQL Anywhere using Sybase Central v11, and can start the pristine and unaltered example databases installed by Servoy with no problem.

I then move my main client database and log file into the databases folder, and adjust the sybase config file, ensuring that the path strings are exactly right.

The database fails on starting the SQL Anywhere service, with the following error (as recorded in sybase_log.txt):
QOUTE
Could not execute store DLL (dbcis11.dll) entry point
Database server shutdown due to startup error.
END QUOTE

Using Sybase Central, I can open the database that fails with no reported problem. It also validates OK.
When I attempt to start the service using Sybase Central's service control procedure, I see an 'unknown fault', with the above error line in the sybase_log.txt file.

I have unloaded and recreated the database, but there is no change in the error.

Has anyone come across this problem before? Is there a resolution?
Richard Hinder
Chartered Engineer and priest
richh

Postby richh » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Resolved. The v10 databases had a couple of remote server references (previously installed by Sybase Central v10 for use in migrating data). Removal of the remote servers using Sybase Central v11 solved the problem.
Richard Hinder
Chartered Engineer and priest
richh

Return to Installation