install Servoy to use existing Postgresql on server

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

install Servoy to use existing Postgresql on server

Postby Detox » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:43 am

Hello Folks.

This has probably been hashed around but to minimize my confusion,,,, here is the question:

I am running Centos v5.5 on a Dell PowerEdge 1950 server. I have clean install of Centos and an will begin the install of PostGreSQL using yum (I have never used PostGreSQL before and felt the learning of installing / setting up would be beneficial prior to loading Servoy.

Should I :

Continue with this course of action? if I do, will Servoy recognize that I have PostGreSQL installed already?
Or,

Use the bundled PostGreSQL that comes with Servoy instead?

I would realuy like to use the features of pgadmin for the administration of the DB, as well as Slony for off-site backup.
server

Does the bundled postgresql come with "fully loaded" postgresql?

Bottom Line, I will need to have a crash course in this db software and need to understand the best way to proceed.

Thanks for any responses in advance

Steve K
Detox

Re: install Servoy to use existing Postgresql on server

Postby ngervasi » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:41 pm

Go on and install Postgres on your own, it's the best way to gain the experience you will need in the future to maintain it and manage it once in production.
When you will install Servoy uncheck the "install DB" option and configure manually the servers connections, it's easy don't worry.
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby Detox » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks for the response,

Now, the next question I have is probably answered by form of opinion so here it is............. I tried installing the self-installer by EnterpriseDB. it installed with no issues. Did t his after botching up command line install of postgresql 5 times. On the 8th time and just starting with a fresh build of Centos. I also was successful in adding in pgadmin, drupal, and mewiawiki via commandline install. However, I am really unsure of how it installed correctly after so many tries (my note pad became too disjoiinted and confused)

So here is the question............. what benefit, if any, is there to installing postgresql with installer (such as enterprisedb) or by source (comand line)?

The main use will be for Servoy.

It would be nice to have a Wiki onsite for local tutorials, etc. Also, the inclusion of Drupal for a staff website along side of servoy would have benefit at some time. (one benefit of suing the installer)
My server curently houses only servoy 3.5.
I could continue to us a dedicated server jsut for servoy, and put the wiki and drupal on another IP / server to reduce security issues.

So, the question is, what benefit would there be for using one install vs the other? Does it matter to Servoy? Either way I will need to manually configure location of the DB's.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful consideration.

Steve
Detox

Postby ROCLASI » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Steve,

Detox wrote:So here is the question............. what benefit, if any, is there to installing postgresql with installer (such as enterprisedb) or by source (comand line)?

Well as you already noticed compiling from source is not always a walk in the park. Using the EDB installer also installs all the contribs and other goodies for you that you normally have to compile in.

Detox wrote:So, the question is, what benefit would there be for using one install vs the other? Does it matter to Servoy?

Either will work for you (and Servoy). It's just that using the EDB installer makes it MUCH easier to apply new (security) updates. Usually just by running the installer and 1 minute later you are back in business with a updated (running) PostgreSQL.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby Detox » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Yes it does! Thanks a bunch! Do you see any snags by installing all components in the EDB?
I do not think I will use Drupal right off,,, but the wiki would be really nice to have there.
Also, to point postgresql to /servoy/database.... was there a video at servoy on how to do this?
Detox

Return to Installation