cannot connect to DB server

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

cannot connect to DB server

Postby sholman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:45 pm

I downloaded the demo but cannot connect to my oracle 8 db via Appkication Preferences>DB Servers. I click auto-setup server and replace the "sa" with my correct user name. My db is named onedb_prod.world, but I can't type a period in the server name field. I try other combinations of the name but get the following error:

java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

The driver specified by the auto-setup is sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.
sholman

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:56 pm

can you post a screenshot of your driver settings screen?
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby sholman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:12 pm

not sure if this is what you mean--this is the server config window using auto-setup.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
not sure if this is what you mean--this is the server config window using auto-setup.
screenshot.jpg (43.65 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
sholman

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:33 pm

If you want to connect to oracle use Oracle's JDBC driver. You can download it from technet.oracle.com or you can find it on your Oracle installation cdrom. If you've done a default oracle install on your machine you can find it in the following directory:
C:\oracle\ora81\jdbc\lib
The driver is named classes12.zip
(NOTE that later versions of the driver have a different name)

Place this file into your drivers directory inside your Servoy folder. Restart Servoy. Choose Oracle in the Auto Setup Server puldown in the DB Servers tab of preferences. Change the Server name to a name you like. Fill in the correct username and password for the connection. In the URL field replace localhost with the hostname or IP of your database server
replace <orcl_sid> (INCLUDING the < > signs) with the oracle database name. If necessary also fill in the Schema (depending on your database configuration you need to fill in a specific schema here, if you don't know you can try putting in your username)
Press OK to test your connection.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby sholman » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:47 pm

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I haven't had a chance to return to this but I appreciate the reply.
sholman

Return to Installation