Developer slow to launch

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Developer slow to launch

Postby antonio » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:05 am

I have an intermittent problem with SV 5.2.11 on Mac (both Lion and Snow Leopard) Sometimes it's painfully slow to start. Initially I thought it was due to remote DBs being unavailable - it is understandably slow to launch if it can't connect to a DB - but I've moved all DBs to localhost and still have the problem intermittently. It takes 2-3 minutes just to get a splash screen and the license info doesn't display. It's then another 3-4 minutes before the Eclipse environment is available. Launching a client displays the Community Edition nag meaning it really hasn't found the licenses, and when I launch servoy-admin and look at the Licenses page, the section of the screen where I would enter the license info is missing. Apart from that, developer, SC and WC work!

If I restart Serclipse, it often launches normally, 20-30 seconds for a splash screen with license info and eclipse a few seconds later. Clients launch normally. This happens on two machines, only shared feature is the SVN.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions on where to find the root cause.
Tony
Servoy 8 - 2022.03 LTS
antonio

Re: Developer slow to launch

Postby rgansevles » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Tony,

If this happens you can take a thread dump ( http://localhost:8080/servoy-admin/dumpstack ) to see what developer is so busy with.

Obviously, this only works if developer has already started tomcat.

Rob
Rob Gansevles
Servoy
rgansevles

Postby antonio » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks Rob, will try that
antonio

Postby jcompagner » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:33 am

also try servoy 6.0.x to see if that helps. We do stuff there completely different now when parsing/validation js files that helps especially the mac.
Also for 5 always closing all your editors when closing servoy developer will help starting it up the next time..
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby antonio » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:14 am

No joy with stack dump, I can't access admin pages until the end of the protracted loading.
Also, nothing written to servoy.log until the same time.
Servoy 6 launches fine, but I'm not ready to migrate my solutions to that.
I will try to close all editors, however the slow launch is an intermittent problem that seems unrelated to the number of windows open. One time it will launch in 30-40 seconds and load the licenses, they next time may take 8-10 minutes, without the licenses loading.
Tony
Servoy 8 - 2022.03 LTS
antonio

Postby ROCLASI » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:48 pm

I just had the same situation with Developer 5.2.x and 6.x. After some research it turned out that my network (most notably my DNS) settings where still set to another location.
This caused Developer to be brutally slow in loading (after the splash screen disapeared). Also accessing the servoy-admin pages is impossible during this time.
After changing my network settings it all was back to normal.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Return to Installation