ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Re: Windows machines: Could not create the Java virtual mach

Postby Yeroc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Robert,

Robert Huber wrote:How much is high for you? And to what values should I reduce them?
Regards,

I can't address typical settings for SmartClient since we don't use it but I've found that on Windows once you get up to about 1500MB you can start expecting to see these types of errors. What has never made sense to me is that it's based on the maximum heapsize setting. Theoretically at startup the JVM should only be reserving enough memory for the minimum heap size but in actuality it checks to ensure there's enough contiguous memory to satisfy the maximum heap size. This forces you to set these values for the lowest-end machine you expect to be running your application.

If you're experiencing performance issues that you think is due to a lack of memory you can use JVisualVM which ships with the JDK (not JRE) to visually monitor memory usage. Pay particular attention to full garbage collections. If you're not seeing full garbage collections/memory usage is low then that's not your performance issue.

Corey
Yeroc

Postby Andrei Costescu » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 am

I noticed the same problem when starting a java 7 (java 6 worked fine) 32 bit JVM on a Windows 7 64 bit OS with -Xmx1280m. The max. value it allowed was -Xmx1024m.
With java 6 or java 7 64 bits I had no such problem. I suggest that you set it to 1024m max.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby Robert Huber » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:05 am

Thanks, Andrei. It seems in discussing this with other developers that we are not the only one which are affect, but there are more or less workarounds to it. It would just be great to know what's really going on here.
Do you think that not updating the path in the desktop icon by javaws? is also related to the memory settings?

Regards,

Andrei Costescu wrote:I noticed the same problem when starting a java 7 (java 6 worked fine) 32 bit JVM on a Windows 7 64 bit OS with -Xmx1280m. The max. value it allowed was -Xmx1024m.
With java 6 or java 7 64 bits I had no such problem. I suggest that you set it to 1024m max.
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
Robert Huber

Postby Andrei Costescu » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm not sure I understand the question(s):
Robert Huber wrote:Do you think that not updating the path in the desktop icon by javaws? is also related to the memory settings?

If you are asking whether or not a simple update of the smart client heap properties in admin page should result in the generated desktop link updating it's cache, that is affirmative.
It should notice that the .jnlp file changed and get the new one with the new heap values from the server.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby jcompagner » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:41 pm

that jnlp shortcut not updating to the new cache entry is i think a bug in webstart itself.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Previous

Return to Installation