servoy fails install

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

servoy fails install

Postby Detox » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:48 pm

hello all!

i installed enterpriseDB Postgresql standard 9.1

created user DBA mimicking the default Servoy User with stick pw

i can log into PGadmin with DBA, create, edit, etc

During the servoy install, when I get to the page to supply info to connect to the server, it fails.

Do I need to create a server in Posgres named "servoy_respository"?
Detox

Re: servoy fails install

Postby logicimpresa » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Yes, follow this link to upgrade the repository: http://wiki.servoy.com/display/public/D ... ry+upgrade

Gianluca
logicimpresa

Postby Detox » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:47 pm

Gianluca,

Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions on the link you provided:

in servoy_server folder : ./servoy_server.sh -Repository (hit enter)
I now have been waiting over 15 min with the curser below that line

It appears nothing is happening.

I am running 64bit Centos ver 6, Java ver 7

servoy is installed in a folder owned by user servoyuser and servoy was installed by the same user

What now?
Detox

Postby Joas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:47 am

Detox wrote:./servoy_server.sh -Repository

Don't you mean:
Code: Select all
./servoy_server.sh -upgradeRepository

Do you have any errors in the servoy_log.txt in the application_server folder?
Joas de Haan
Yield Software Development
Need help on your project? yieldsd.com
Joas
Site Admin

Postby Detox » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:11 pm

Joas,

Thanks for the response. Yes my post was a typo, I did have ./servoy_server.sh -upgradeRepository There was nothing in the logs, maybe because nothing happened? Anyway, I became frustrated, dumped the system
Installed centos x64
installed java 7
installed standard unixOBDC as well as postgresOBDC using yum. Now I am ready to install servoy again

I did experiment at home last night, and found when I installed developer, JUST developer was installed. When I installed servoy server, both installed.
When I installed developer with the internal postgresql all opened fine and the db's were working.
When I installed sevoy_server, and started ./servoy_server.sh, the databases were not accessible, although servoy (eclipse) opened fine.

One last note, when I attempted to install servoy as a service on my linux box, the installation fails, demanding I install as root. So I did not install as a service. Maybe that is why the db's are not working correctly? Maybe I need to insert some commandline parameters since it is not a service?

So then the next question is: What benefit is there to using EnterpriseDB or yum install postgresql VS the supplied postgres within servoy?

Again, thanks for the input
Detox

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi Detox,

What version of Servoy did you install? Servoy 6.0.5 had some fixes in the installer.

Detox wrote:installed standard unixOBDC as well as postgresOBDC using yum.

ODBC? Servoy uses JDBC so no need to install ODBC components (unless you need it for something else than Servoy).

Detox wrote:So then the next question is: What benefit is there to using EnterpriseDB or yum install postgresql VS the supplied postgres within servoy

Servoy bundles PostgreSQL with the product for your convenience. But it also has it setup in a way that is not secure in production environments. For instance the data directory is fully accessible by the user who installed Servoy. In a proper Pg setup this data directory is only accessible by a postgres system user that doesn't have a password. In the same fashion that a webserver is setup.
Yum and the EDB installer does install Pg in a secure fashion. Also the Yum package will install Pg in the way the Linux distro expects it (this actually can differ between the distros).

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby Detox » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:26 pm

Robert,

Thanks so much for the input! Yes this helps a lot. I have now installed the EnterpriseDB postgresql. Now I will start the servoy install again.
I do want to use this machine for development, then turn it into the production server, so I will use the ' install servoy-server' option.
I am now watching the video at servoy university on installing servoy 6.
In past attempts I tried to install enterprisedb (option 2 in install) and it would fail, stating I needed to install as root. If I do this I must run servoy as root and that was frowned upon by other forum posts. In addition, I cannot install servoy-server as a service unless I install as root.
So how do I install servoy-server (including developer), be able to run both with a dedicated user (say - servoyop)? Again, I wanted to use the production server as development until I am ready to go "live"

One thought, could I install servoy-developer in my /home folder using the enterprisedb install I jsut did? This would install all sample db's?

Then, install servoy-server in /opt/ or somewhere as root, set it as a service. Keeping access to all samples from developer? I can run developer as myself, but the actual server would be owned by root?

Thanks again for the help!
Detox

Return to Installation