Work for one day on another laptop

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Work for one day on another laptop

Postby djlapin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm going somewhere where theft may be a concern, and I want to take an older laptop.

What is the easiest way to move an ongoing project to another laptop, and then move it back again in the evening? This is 6.0.6 (6.0.5 on the older machine).

Thanks,
Don
djlapin

Re: Work for one day on another laptop

Postby tgs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Why not by SVN teamsupport?
Thomas Schnaus
SAN Developer
yomotec GmbH
tgs

Postby djlapin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:33 am

Hi Thomas,

I don't have that set up and, even after having read the instructions some weeks ago, I'm finding that the concept is still a thick, swirling fog bank in my mind.

I'm going to be either in my car or on a pool deck. Isn't there some way to simply drag over the appropriate files/folders from one machine to the next?

Thanks,
Don
djlapin

Postby ngervasi » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:35 am

Then copy your entire Servoy folder and your workspace folder to the new (expendible) laptop and if you are lucky enough to bring it home copy your workspace folder back to your work laptop. :)
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby ngervasi » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:37 am

... or spend 1 hour to read this (http://wiki.servoy.com/display/public/DOCS/SVN+Team+Provider) and setup SVN so thieves at least can't steal your work... ;)
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby djlapin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 am

Hi Thomas and Nicola,

I was able to drag the workspace folder over and everything worked well. Today, I found just the files on the older laptop that I changed, and copied them back to the original workspace folder. It seems to be working.

I will look at the SVN documentation again...but wouldn't I need an internet-based storage site?

Thanks,
Don
djlapin

Postby tgs » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:01 am

djlapin wrote:I will look at the SVN documentation again...but wouldn't I need an internet-based storage site?

Of course you need a svn server machine. This can be a local server at your internal network or a hosted server outside and you can configure it to your best need.
If you are working on your Laptop without a Internet connection and make changes on your Servoy solution, you can commit the changes to your svn server when you back at home/office and have a network connection again before you start working on your desktop machine with updating your Servoy solution.

Regards
Thomas Schnaus
SAN Developer
yomotec GmbH
tgs

Return to Installation