Installation a complete failure

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Installation a complete failure

Postby mercer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:52 pm

My baptismal Servoy experience has been horrible. First off all, Windows 8 warned me that the Servoy installer was unsafe to install. Secondly, Servoy recommended that I
not install the Program in my Program Files folder without explanation and without proposing an alternative. After installation, not one of the executables ran from the Start menu: one appeared for a split second then disappeared and the others just hung. When I tried to uninstall everything out out of sheer frustration, that even failed! In the end, I was unable to run the uninstall script from within the program directory. By the way, the Java versions on my PC are 1.6.0_24 and 1.7.0_10.
mercer

Re: Installation a complete failure

Postby jgarfield » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Without any more information it sounds like you are running into permissions issues. Where did you end up installing it? If you install it somewhere in your user folder you should have full permissions to anything in there and will probably have better luck.
Programmer.
adBlocks
http://www.adblocks.com
jgarfield

Postby mercer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:49 pm

I did install in the Program Files Directory. I have never tried installing any program in my user folder. Is that a suggestion or the recommended/required location? Is Servoy fully compatible with Windows 8?
mercer

Postby mboegem » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:59 am

mercer wrote:Is that a suggestion or the recommended/required location? Is Servoy fully compatible with Windows 8?

I believe there's a line of recommendation in the Servoy installer itself saying it's recommended to install it outside your Program Files folder.

Concerning the compatibility: I didn't try it myself yet.
However, Servoy is a feature of Eclipse v.3.7.2 (Indigo), you can probably find more about compatibility at eclipse.org.
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby ptalbot » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:40 pm

I installed Servoy 6.1.3 on Windows 8 / Java 6 on a VM without troubles. Installed it in C:/Servoy/. though.
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby stevek » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:22 am

This may be beating a broken drum by now, but I'd thought I would put in my 2 cents.
I am not a skilled servoy guy by any stretch of the definition.
I installed Servoy v 6.1.3 (developer) on a windows 7 pc without any problems, pointing the install to C:\servoy
Prior to installing, I installed Postgresql and PgAdmin, created the "repository-server" database and added the user in Postgresql DBA /sql to allow for all sample solutions to work and access all databases installed by Servoy.

There are a few great videos at servoyuniversity.com that show the install process very nicely. Also the WiKi -
wiki.servoy.com/dashboard.action is actually a great resource provided you understand to read slowly and follow the links on the topic.

Anyway, hope that helps
stevek

Return to Installation