Servoy developper crashing immediately, PostgreSQL issue?

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Servoy developper crashing immediately, PostgreSQL issue?

Postby peter.mair » Fri May 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi all,
please excuse, if my problem has an obvious solution, but I am coming from the Foxpro world and I am totally new to Servoy. So I hope somebody has a solution or can at least point me to the right resources
I installed the Servoy Developer Version 7.1.0 under Ubuntu 11.10 into ~/servoy using all default settings incl. the PostgreSQL database. When I start the servoy programm from the developper folder, I get the splash screen, showing a moving progress bar, a very short flash of the developper user interface and finaly an empty message box titled "Servoy". Does not react on trying to close it, have to kill the servoy task.

I have some suspicion that the problem is related to the PostgreSQL DB not being configured properly. In two logfiles I found the following messages:
- From servoy_log.txt:
Code: Select all
ERROR [main] com.servoy.j2db.util.Debug - Cannot start repository:  [ ]
com.servoy.j2db.persistence.RepositoryException: Error checking repository
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.Za.Za.Zb(Za.java:586)
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.Za.Za.<init>(Za.java:1693)
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.Za.Za.<init>(Za.java:738)
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.Za.Zo.Za(Zo.java:332)
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.main.ApplicationServer.main(ApplicationServer.java:562)
Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Verbindung verweigert. Überprüfen Sie die Korrektheit von Hostnamen und der Portnummer und dass der Datenbankserver TCP/IP-Verbindungen annimmt.

- From postgres_log.txt
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2013-05-17 00:09:23 CEST
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
FATAL:  role "peter" does not exist
LOG:  received smart shutdown request
LOG:  autovacuum launcher shutting down
LOG:  shutting down

If I have the correct suspicion, how do I configure PostgreSQL? Comes there an application with the Servoy Package? Just edit some textfiles? I would be just as happy, if somebody would point me to the right resources on PostgreSQL configuration.

And of course, if I guessed wrong, please help me getting my Servoy installation up and running :D
Thanks a lot,
Peter
peter.mair

Re: Servoy developper crashing immediately, PostgreSQL issue

Postby ROCLASI » Fri May 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi Peter,

I think you have a few problems here. Lets look at the first (the crashing of Developer).
Developer opens up with a browser view to show the welcome page. Now on newer versions of Linux this will cause Eclipse (i.e. Developer) to crash when it can't find the xulrunner library. This is a known problem and I hope Servoy will fix this soon.

What you need to do is to add the following line to the servoy.ini :
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=/usr/lib/xulrunner-2/

After this launch Developer. If it stays open then see if you still have the other problems you mentioned.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby peter.mair » Fri May 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi Robert
thanks for your fast reply. I modified the servoy.ini with above line and started servoy. It feels as if the browser view stays open a few moments longer than before, but than again crash with empty message box. I don't seem to have XULrunner installed on my machine, at least the above path does not exist and I did not find any file with that name anywhere on my machine (except for 2 entries in the /proc/ path probably originating from the firefox instance?). I wanted to install it, but found that there are now much newer versions than 2.0, so I wonder can I just install the latest version or is 2.0 mandatory?
peter.mair

Postby peter.mair » Wed May 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi again,
I searched around a bit further and ended up on the Mozilla Xulrunner download page. But now I am lost, I downloaded the 32bit archive from
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... /runtimes/

But from the README file it looks as if this is a package for application developers and not something I could install. I did extract the whole xulrunner directory into /usr/lib/ and tried Servoy again. But with the same result as described above, opens the browser and crashes. I am desperate, can anybody give me a tip where to go from here? Where can I get a "installable" version of xulrunner, if I need it. What else could be wrong?

Thanks many times,
Peter
peter.mair

Postby jcompagner » Thu May 23, 2013 6:22 pm

what you can try is open the servoy.ini file and add this line:

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=webkit

(after -vmargs)

if you have an other like that that says mozilla remove that one.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Solved: Servoy developper crashing immediately

Postby peter.mair » Thu May 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi all,
thanks for your input. I had to do some deep digging, but now my Servoy Developper installation is running smoothly as it seems. Most of the the solution I found on
http://askubuntu.com/questions/125980/h ... r-in-12-04

Eclipse is really picky about the version of xulrunner it uses. But its solved now and I am starring at a nice empty Servoy browser. :D
I'll try to get started with some tutorials, but will probably be back soon here with more questions.

So long,
Peter
peter.mair

Return to Installation