Development server

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Development server

Postby m.noel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:33 pm

The person supporting a Servoy apps left our company, and I have been tasked with supporting it, and I have no prior knowledge,so please excuse simple questions.

I figured the best starting point was to install a separate "development" server, and duplicate the environment before trying to change anything.

The production system was using version 5.2.10, so I am using it as I do not know what else I may be introducing by installing a newer version. (thoughts welcome)

I have successfully installed the developer and server on a windows 2008 server box. (success being I can use a browser on a different computer to get to the server and I see the "active" solution from the development environment listed) Now I have a couple questions...
The server has 1 developer license key which I was able to use on the dev server, it also has 50 client licenses, which the dev server did not accept (drop down list on License information page on the dev server only lists "Developer").

On the production server we have 5 solutions, when I access the server I get a list of them, and can click on any one to open it.

On the dev server if I go to "servoy-admin" I do not see an import option (I do on the production server) Is this because of the client license issue? Normally, if I wanted to have multiple solutions, would I just import them and they would show up? Is it possible to borrow a couple clients for my development box so it can look as close as the same as possible?

Any other thoughts or suggestions for a beginner are welcome

Mike
m.noel

Re: Development server

Postby pentamsi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:43 pm

By default the servoy development enviroment, no have options of server, like import solutions, styles, and so many things, if you want to run as server, you need to run the service in the developer.

You can see this for more info: http://wiki.servoy.com/display/public/DOCS/Starting+the+server
pentamsi

Postby m.noel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:18 pm

So in order to truly duplicate the environment (I.e. multiple solutions available from the start page, where I can import solutions and so-on) is there a separate server application (a full server version?) I need? My goal is to duplicate the environment as I want to test importing/exporting and so-on before trying it on the production server.

On a secondary note, I did not get copies of the latest version of the export files loaded into the server. I did get copies of the solution but suspect they may not be what was used to load the server the last time it was updated (a couple things seem to look different). I was originally thinking to export what I had and compare to the export files used last time but can't as I do not have them. Can I export from the production server somehow, or are the files stored in original form someplace after import to the server?

Thanks for you r help

Mike
m.noel

Postby jdbruijn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:47 am

You can start the servoy server from your development server by using the servoy_server.bat file in the application_server folder.
Or you can import the solution into the developer and run it from within the developer, that way you can debug your import.

If you do not have the latest import files, than you will probably need the support of Servoy to reproduce the correct import files.
Jos de Bruijn
Focus Feedback BV
Servoy Certified Developer
jdbruijn

Return to Installation