Ubuntu: closed port 5432 PostgreSQL database server

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Ubuntu: closed port 5432 PostgreSQL database server

Postby deezzub » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm trying to install Servoy Developer 7.0 / 7.1 / 7.2 on Ubuntu 12.10 / 13.04. I get a problem during installation with the bundled PostgreSQL database server, because the port 5432 is closed.

Askubuntu: How to open port 5432 for Servoy (Eclipse) PostgreSQL database server.
Last edited by deezzub on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deezzub

Re: Ubuntu: closed port 5432 PostgreSQL database server

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi,

So you selected to install the Bundled PostgreSQL server. So you assume there is no PostgreSQL running or even installed yet (try ps -aux | grep postgres in the terminal).
Now, that 'check availability' button checks if the default Pg port is already in use. If it is it tries the next one, and so on. So somehow it seems to think that ports 5432 all the way to 65535 is already in use. I suggest you file this as a bug with Servoy because I find that hard to believe that this is the case.

To see if there is something listing on port 5432 you can use the following command:
Code: Select all
sudo lsof -i -P | grep -i listen | grep 5432

I am pretty sure you will find no process there.

In that case you simply keep the 'Database server port' setting in the installer set to 5432 and install it.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby deezzub » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:02 pm

ROCLASI wrote:So you selected to install the Bundled PostgreSQL server. So you assume there is no PostgreSQL running or even installed yet (try ps -aux | grep postgres in the terminal).

Yes, it's a fresh Ubuntu installation, so there is no PostgreSQL running.

ROCLASI wrote:Now, that 'check availability' button checks if the default Pg port is already in use. If it is it tries the next one, and so on. So somehow it seems to think that ports 5432 all the way to 65535 is already in use.

I tried also the PostgreSQL install from the Ubuntu repository and then using the port 5432. It works.

ROCLASI wrote:I suggest you file this as a bug with Servoy because I find that hard to believe that this is the case.

Ok

ROCLASI wrote:To see if there is something listing on port 5432 you can use the following command:
Code: Select all
sudo lsof -i -P | grep -i listen | grep 5432

I am pretty sure you will find no process there.

You are right.

ROCLASI wrote:In that case you simply keep the 'Database server port' setting in the installer set to 5432 and install it.

Then I can't use the example data.
deezzub

Postby deezzub » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:34 pm

I followed the Ubuntu / Linux installation guide and If I continue the installation, I can't get a database connection.

servoy_postgres_error.png
Servoy Postgres closed port error
servoy_postgres_error.png (9.09 KiB) Viewed 4466 times

Servoy Support System Issue: SVY-5143
deezzub

Postby david » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:06 am

This bundled version should obviously work and it may be a Servoy bug or an operating system issue. But note that best practice is to use a stand alone postgresql installation, even with Servoy developer. The same version you use in production. It has saved us a few times.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Return to Installation