Linux & Mac OS X Install problems

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Linux & Mac OS X Install problems

Postby bobcart » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:09 am

I's been awhile since I used Servoy, but I have a great application for it. It needs to be on a virtual machine at a data centre. I installed the App server with the Enterprise DB option and couldn't connect to the db at the end of the install. Using pgadmin, I was able to see that all was well and by adding /postgres to the connection, it at least was able to connect. I thought all was well and just needed to get a solution to test. I then tried to install developer on my Mac using an existing db. I wanted to have the repository_server hosted on the same server in the cloud, but no luck. It would hang. I figured this was a firewall issue to solve later. I then tried to install developer with the built in db. However, I couldn't import the sample databases. Pgadmin didn't show any postgres, but the processes were there, so that didn't help. I tried Java 6 and an earlier java 7, but no luck. I then tried to install developer on the linux cloud server (centos 6) and the same exact behaviour as the Mac was seen. However, in the case of CentOS, at least PGAdmin saw the server. I did a lot of fiddling with postgres and permissions and JAVA HOME environment, etc and no change. At least nearly the same this was happening on the Mac and Linux. I then tried a Windows 7 box with a simple developer and built in db install and everything went smoothly as it should. I then figured I had munged up some configuration stuff on the CentOS box so I rebuilt it from scratch with minimal junk and did a very clean install of java and servoy and exactly the same behavior resulted even with the built in db on developer only. The problem doesn't appear to be related to the jre version or whether EnterpriseDB or standard postgres. It appears to be the servoy installer for linux and MacOS X. However, as I don't see any other people having these issues, or at least not complaining about them, I'm not sure how to diagnose and fix this issue. Any clues appreciated.

Bob
bobcart

Re: Linux & Mac OS X Install problems

Postby bobcart » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:40 am

I got it working. I think the answer was indeed my java install. I carefully removed all evidence of the Oracle JDK and got the Apple provided 1.6 version back how it was supposed to be, or so I thought. It still didn't work. Then I installed 1.7 u51 on top of that and it didn't work. I removed it again and reinstalled and voila.

Given the errors were exactly the same on the linux box, I'm going to assume it was also a Java install problem and work that out. If you don't hear back from me, that was the issue.

Bob
bobcart

Return to Installation