Java 8 Non Heap Space

Q&A regarding installation and issues getting started with Servoy

Java 8 Non Heap Space

Postby sovanm » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:00 am

Hello,

I have few simple questions here, just for knowledge..

With Java 8 as we know MaxPermGem Space has been eliminated, and Metaspace has been added which would allow addition on Non Heap Space memory automatically.

Is it going to affect anything in servoy if we update the Java to Java 8 (Java.version=1.8.0_25)? I have already did the update and while starting server I see a warning that MaxPermGen space has not skipped (I do not remember the exact warning, but it was something like that). Servoy runs but in admin page I do see the user non heap space always in RED and Max as 0K.

Do we need to do any extra settings while upgrading the Java from 7 to 8 ?
Do we need to set this "-XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=128m" while starting the servoy ?

Thanks
sovanm

Re: Java 8 Non Heap Space

Postby jcompagner » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:52 pm

you can just remove the maxperm setting from your batch files (or servoy.ini in the developer)

you don't need to add that XX:MaxMetaspaceSize because that one works the other way around, it sets a max until it may grow you don't increase something where it can grow to
This is because metaspace can grow to what ever it needs.
(so only a bug or some other runaway class loader or dynamic class creator could go wild then)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Re: Java 8 Non Heap Space

Postby Gordon McLean » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:53 pm

Guys

I have this set up on my servoy_server.sh

$CMD_LINE_START -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx18g -Xms1500m -XX:MaxPermSize=2500m

The server has 30gm ram available and its dedicated to server is this a reasonable set up and can those more familiar with setting heap size etc please advise ?

Server - Ubuntu Linux

Best
Gordon
Gordon McLean
Clickdigital.com
Gordon McLean

Return to I'm just getting started