very very new and feeling blue

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

very very new and feeling blue

Postby davedive » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:35 pm

:oops:
I'm working on 10.2.8 and after installing Servoy r2.2.0 can't get to start the app.

Reason : at 'application server init' following init error :
fatal init, could not load the database server definitions from: servoy.properties
details :
java.sql.SQLException: JZ006: Caught IOException: java.net.SocketException: Reply from SOCKS server has bad version

I know i should have java 1.4.2 sdk installed but can't find it for os10.2.8 (only for osx 10.3)

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
Davedive
davedive

Postby IT2Be » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:16 pm

As far as my knowledge goes this means there is something wrong with your sybase installation. In other words Servoy can't reach your repository.

I don't think this got something to do with your 10.2.8 installation for which, by the way, you won't be able to get an upgrade to java 1.4.2...

Have you tried restarting your installation?
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby davedive » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:26 am

Yes, i restarted several times and got the same result at each restart.

Could this be a hardwarematter ? : i'm trying this (until my new cpu-upgrade comes in) on a cube G4 450mhz (below minimum requirements).

Anyway, untill someone is absolutely sure it is hardware, i still would like to know what's wrong with the sybase installation. I used the all-in-one installer and there were no hickups at installationtime.

Thanks
Davedive
davedive

Postby Riccardino » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:22 am

davedive wrote:Yes, i restarted several times and got the same result at each restart.

Could this be a hardwarematter ? : i'm trying this (until my new cpu-upgrade comes in) on a cube G4 450mhz (below minimum requirements).

Anyway, untill someone is absolutely sure it is hardware, i still would like to know what's wrong with the sybase installation. I used the all-in-one installer and there were no hickups at installationtime.

Thanks
Davedive

Definitely it's not a hardware matter (or at least is not related to CPU power: I put Servoy Developer on a Yosemite G3 300 and got it working).
Is your java installation up to date?
ciao, ric
Riccardino

Postby davedive » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:18 pm

Well that's the whole point i guess : i can't install java 1.4.2 because apple doesn't have the update for osx10.2.8, only for 10.3.

But is it a java or sybase problem?

thanks for any feedback
Davedive
davedive

Postby Riccardino » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:06 pm

davedive wrote:Well that's the whole point i guess : i can't install java 1.4.2 because apple doesn't have the update for osx10.2.8, only for 10.3.

But is it a java or sybase problem?

I'm not sure: last week I installed Servoy 2.0.3 on an iMac G3 400 with OSX.2.8 and the last Java for Jaguar (1.4.1, if I remember well): I didn't have any problem.

Did you install Sybase from Servoy package or did you download it separately?
ciao, ric
Riccardino

Postby davedive » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:16 pm

I didn't install anything in particular (except for the all-in one installer from servoy : servoy_installer.jar) i supposed the free sybase was inside it??

i'll have to check i guess

So would r2.2.0 work on a G4 450mhz??? (then i would hold my cpu-upgrade-buy a little)

Thanks
Davedive
davedive

Postby david » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:11 pm

davedive wrote:So would r2.2.0 work on a G4 450mhz??? (then i would hold my cpu-upgrade-buy a little)

I have installed and deployed on all kinds of Macs. For Servoy Developer, I find that an 800mhz G4 is about a low as I want to go. Servoy Client is a compiled app and I have had good results with it on G3 processors.

If you plan on spending 8 hours a day developing in Servoy, get a dual G5 -- it's a solid four times faster than a 1.5mhz G4 powerbook with anything Java related.

As far as your repository connection problem, check if Sybase is running. Open up Activity Viewer (Process Viewer in 10.2.8?) and look for the init process dbsrv9 (which is the Sybase process). If that isn't there, download the Sybase iAnywhere product and start the servoy_repository table with the Sybase Central application.

Unfortunately, I can't confirm whether or not 2.04 will work on 10.2.8.

- David
david

Postby davedive » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:12 pm

RTFM :oops: and :(

But in the manual to start servoy it says click on the servoy icon OR on the 'servoy_developer.jar' and that's (for first launch) the only one that installs, and sets up sybase's ianywhere.

Still feeling very blue, but now i can at least start learning :D :D :D

Thanks alot for your help.

Davedive
davedive

Return to Installation