Can't find repository, it may not be running (but it is)

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Can't find repository, it may not be running (but it is)

Postby Westy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:45 pm

We have a new two location installation for a customer with three users in the primary office and three users in the secondary office. Everything appears to be installed and working properly at the primary office.

However, when their users try to access Servoy from the secondary office they get the "Cannot find repository, it may not be running on server" message, but it is running on the server. When they tried to access Servoy-Admin they got the web page for installing the Java runtime and Servoy Client, instead of the Servoy-Admin web page.

I tried accessing the solution from my own office and experienced the same thing, so I then accessed their Windows 2003 Server using a Remote Desktop connection. I went into their Internet Explorer and selected "Internet Options" from the "Tools" pulldown menu. Then I clicked the "Security" tab and clicked "Trusted Sites" and then clicked the "Sites" button. Then I entered my own computer's IP address in the format "http://myipaddress" as a trusted site.

After doing that I closed out of Remote Desktop and tried accessing Servoy-Admin via my browser and bingo, it came up. What I describe above worked, but it's probably not the appropriate procedure because most clients would not have a static internet IP address.

I have been told that my customer's server does not have a local firewall. They are depending on the firewall provided by their internet provider. So at this point we still are unable to open Servoy Client from the secondary location, just Servoy-Admin (and that only when I enter each of their IP addresses as "Trusted Sites" as described above).

My knowledge of firewalls is limited. Should I just be providing the information on firewalls from the Servoy-Admin page to their provider? Is the "Can't find repository..." message the usual message presented to the Client when a firewall is not adjusted properly?
Westy

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:58 pm

Servoy needs two ports opened/forwarded on your firewall.
The webport (default 8080) and the RMI port (default 1099)

That is a fairly straight forward procedure to do if you know which firewall you are using, if you don't contact the people that manage the firewall.

From what I read in your post your windows server is also running firewall software (either from third parties or the default stuff built in) that doesnt allow external sites to connect, you will have to reconfigure it to allow connections on the web and RMI ports.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Westy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:33 pm

Thanks Jan. I opened port 1099 and that did it.

What might cause the servoy client install web page to come up sometimes instead of the servoy admin page when the http://ipaddress:8080/servoy-admin is typed into the browser from a client pc?

As I described above putting the client pc's ip address in as a trusted site on the server web browser fixed it in one instance. However, from another site I was able to access the Servoy admin page from the same server without making any adjustments to the server or the client pc.

I am trying to better understand what can cause problems on the client machine side, such that a client from one location cannot access Servoy but a client from another test location can access it with no problem. What variables on the client computer are most likely to cause problems?
Westy

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:21 pm

most probably you made a typo, anything else behind the URL will redirect to the client home page. For example servoy-adminn will go to the client home page
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Return to Installation