MySQL as the repository server

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

MySQL as the repository server

Postby YellowDuck » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:10 pm

Hi all,

I tried to use MySQL as the repository server for Servoy, instead of Firebird, but I can't seem to get it working. I did the following:

1. Install Servoy R2, but without the FireBird database.
2. I've created a new database in MySQL
3. Created a new user in MySQL that has access to that database.
4. Started Servoy Developer
5. Under the Edit Menu, I went to the preferences.
6. I've selected the DB servers tab
7. Clicked on the Auto Setup Server option
8. Filled in the neccesary details
9. Clicked on OK

So far, so good, but there I got the message that the repository can only be created with on a transactional database system. The manual however states that MySQL can be used as the repository server.

I'm running the latest version of Servoy R2 on Windows 2000 SP2. The version of MySQL I'm running is version 4.0.14.

Is there anything I overlooked perhaps?

Cheers,

pieter
YellowDuck

Postby jcompagner » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:12 pm

The repository can only be created on database with transactions support. With mysql you can have transaction support but you need InnoDB as default.

If you use the latest mysql (4.0.14) and latest JDBC drivers (3.0.8) with innodb it should work.

I have these settings:
I use mysqld-max-nt with these extra settings in the my.ini:

innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:20M:autoextend
default-table-type=INNODB

But i never had a repository on mysql (only data databases), so i tested it and there was another error because we tried to create varchar column above the size of 255. I corrected this now but you need a new build (after RC5)
jcompagner

Postby YellowDuck » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:48 pm

When and where will this new build be available?

pieter
YellowDuck

Postby edward » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:39 am

The new version should be released this week.

HTH

Edward
Edward Callaghan
Servoy
edward

Postby YellowDuck » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:39 am

Just tested this, and I got it working fine. A few gotchas though before I got it working:

1. Download the latest JDBC driver from the MySQL website, and put the jar file in the Servoy drivers directory. Why are you including the older version of the driver by the way?

2. If you want to use the server, and you just created the repository, make sure you close the Servoy Developer program otherwise, the properties file in the user home directory is not updated with the right information. It surprises me a bit that this is not done when the preferences dialog box is closed.

3. If you use MySQL as the repository server, you will not be able to import the example solutions. I get SQL errors all the time, but unfortunately, I couldn't figure out why exactly.

For the rest, it works just fine, and really fast actually with MySQL as the repository server.

pieter
YellowDuck

Postby Harjo » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:41 pm

Do you mean: faster as Firebird?
Harjo

Postby YellowDuck » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:45 pm

That's the impression I have, but I have no real numbers...

pieter
YellowDuck

Postby Harjo » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:58 pm

Maybe you could run some tests, because you have (are fimiliar) with MySQL, and share the results with us!
Harjo

Postby jcompagner » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:47 pm

just to make some final comments.

We can't ship the newer driver of mysql because the 3.x driver is GPL and GPL can't be distributed with non OS programs (it is very unclear what you can or can't do so we are playing it save with the 2.0 drivers)

The problem with the sample solution is that those solutions had types that are not really compartible with mysql (like a varchar columns > 255) We will try to fix this with comming releases.. (map it to other types ect)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Return to Installation