Installation Problems Help

Questions and answers for all installation-related topics for Servoy products

Installation Problems Help

Postby raymanj » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:25 am

I have not been able to run the Servoy Demo yet correctly.

I have checked the boards here and tried all the different solutions and nothing. I tried uninstalling it, deleteing the all database files except the empty.gdb file. I deleted the servoy.properties file. I resarted the computer.

I tried lanching Servoy buy running the servoy_developer.jar file.

I tried redownloading the installer file.

I tried installing firebird separatly.

Nothing will solve my problem. I always get the an error with the repository missing. Can't find it. All I have is limited access to the file, edit, and help menus.

Can anyone help me. I am a Filemaker developer and I am trying to try out this software, which I have heard has a lot of potential.

My setup:
Using an admin user account to install
Mac OSX 10.2.8
Downloaded the demo version from Servoy web site.
G3 400Mhz 384 MB RAM
raymanj

I got it, but...

Postby raymanj » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:37 pm

I finally got it to work but I had to rebuild the repository. Every time I went to the repository all it listed was root. So I rebuilt the it and now it says repository in the list. Then I was able to make a new solution.

Another problem occurred though. When creating a new solution, I chose one of the sample databases that came with Servoy, example_data. I named the solution example but no tables would appear in the tables list. So I created my own tables, to get the solution up and running.

The solution is working fine now but how do I use one of the existing databases that came with Servoy?

Thanks for the help.
raymanj

Postby IT2Be » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:48 pm

You have to make them 'known' to Servoy via the preference panel.

Go to preferences, DB Servers, select Auto Setup Server and Firebird. Fill out the name of the database and give the server a name and BINGO...

Or read the manual(s) , it is all in there. :wink:
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Thanks

Postby raymanj » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:15 am

Thanks for the reply. That worked for me.

Sorry, that I did not check the manuals. I am new to Servoy and I have not looked through everything yet.

I am coming from Filemaker and all this stuff about connecting to databases is different for me. In filemaker all I had to do was push a button, it list any databases , click the one I wanted the presto , done.

Seeing all the new stuff, like:

jdbc:firebirdsql:localhost/3050:/Applications/Servoy/database/EXAMPLE.GDB?lc_ctype=WIN1252

is little confusing and daunting for me.

Thanks
raymanj

Postby IT2Be » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:29 am

No problemo, I just said it because it is really in there. I too post my questions often (and sometimes too fast).

I have the pdf's with the manuals always open and do a find on the subject I need. That's why.

I am sure that, if you get the hang of it, you will find Servoy is easy to learn and use. The real comfort comes in where filemaker leaves the arena...

And, although I play with servoy no longer than 1,5 month, I got two customers to go from FM to Servoy within 2 weeks...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Re: Thanks

Postby mattman » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:30 am

raymanj wrote:Seeing all the new stuff, like:

jdbc:firebirdsql:localhost/3050:/Applications/Servoy/database/EXAMPLE.GDB?lc_ctype=WIN1252

is little confusing and daunting for me.

I've asked the developers to look into making this easier. They only have to account for about 5-6 different databases and the connection method could be made A LOT easier. Hopefully this will be something that gets addressed in a future version.
Matt Petrowsky
mattman

Return to Installation