Best Practices for user interface

Find out how to get things done with Servoy. Post how YOU get things done with Servoy

Best Practices for user interface

Postby kschuster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Newbie here.
I'm wondering what the best practices are for setting up a user interface. I'm remembering back to my filemaker days of copying navigation and other application wide elements from form to form... don't want to do that. Then later doing web development with lasso and using fusebox. this made the most sense to me separating design/navigation from the meat of the app

How do you guys setup your apps?
kschuster

Re: Best Practices for user interface

Postby kschuster » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:46 pm

In thinking more about this I seems to be perhaps the best method for setting up a "framework" for UI would be to create one "base" form which would contain the main navigational elements. Maybe nav across the top and down the left side. The insert a tabless panel in the main section of the base form. Then dynamically set the content of the tabless panel based on nav selections...

Does this make sense? anyone?
kschuster

Re: Best Practices for user interface

Postby ROCLASI » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:16 pm

Hi kschuster,

Using a form with a tabless tabpanel to navigate through forms is indeed a common way to setup your navigation.
And with form inheritance you can setup a base form with your standard controls (new/edit/delete/etc) for your forms that you might want to load in that navigation tabpanel.

So yes, this makes sense :)
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Return to How To