HOWTO: Learn Servoy

Find out how to get things done with Servoy. Post how YOU get things done with Servoy

HOWTO: Learn Servoy

Postby mattman » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:20 pm

While the subject for this topic is very wide, there are a few initial steps you can follow to learn Servoy by example.

While Servoy Developer will only open one solution at a time, it is possible to open more than one copy of Servoy Developer. This allows you to switch between two copies of Servoy, each with their own solution open.

Because Java will create an instance of the Servoy application in reserved memory space, you can copy and paste the whole application folder named Servoy. (Duplicate works on Macintosh).

Rename the duplicate Servoy folder to Servoy 2 and then open the servoy_developer.jar file in each to launch the applications.

Open the solution you want to learn from in copy A and your own solution in copy B.

NOTICE: You shouldn't open the same solution in both copies as you may cause refresh problems with data providers and other areas of the application.

Also, if using the included Firebird database and default installation, the database files will be duplicated as well and you will be running off two different repositories. This is not a problem when learning or copying JavaScript code between the Method Editors.

---------------------------
Have a tip about learning Servoy? Post it here.
Matt Petrowsky
mattman

Loading Multiple Versions Of Servoy

Postby bcusick » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:44 pm

One of the great things about servoy is that you can launch multiple instances of Servoy Developer (as Matt mentions above). You CAN make copies of the Servoy directory - but you don't have to.

On windows - simply double-click the Servoy icon again - and you have another instance running (pointing to the same repository).

Also - I have about 10 versions of Servoy installed - so that I can test new RC versions, and also do my production work. Because you can copy/paste Firebird databases between "database" folder of different versions - and you can import your solutions in each version - it's a snap to use multiple versions of Servoy on a single machine.

A good habbit to get into is to EXPORT your soutions to a file. I do this every so often, and it's really great to have a backup just in case you make a mistake (like I have before) and deleted my SERVOY.GDB database (or overwrite it).

Hope this helps...

Bob Cusick
bcusick

Return to How To