HOW TO: create a startup item easily for OS X Tiger

Find out how to get things done with Servoy. Post how YOU get things done with Servoy

Postby IT2Be » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:59 pm

When you are working with Windows, Servoy 3.5 and Sybase 10 and you created services for Servoy and Sybase they don't 'run' out of the box anymore.

With earlier versions the service name (Adaptive Server Anywhere) for Sybase was alphabatically positioned before Servoy (Servoy Application Service). Since Sybase is needed for Servoy to run (when you use sybase as your friend).

The new Sybase 10 has another service name (SQL Anywhere) when you create it using Sybase Cental and comes after the Servoy services.

I took a shortcut and, with the Servoy docs in my hands, I recreated the name for the Servoy services to 'Windows Servoy Service' and it starts well again.
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby Jan Aleman » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:04 pm

IT2Be wrote:When you are working with Windows, Servoy 3.5 and Sybase 10 and you created services for Servoy and Sybase they don't 'run' out of the box anymore.

With earlier versions the service name (Adaptive Server Anywhere) for Sybase was alphabatically positioned before Servoy (Servoy Application Service). Since Sybase is needed for Servoy to run (when you use sybase as your friend).

The new Sybase 10 has another service name (SQL Anywhere) when you create it using Sybase Cental and comes after the Servoy services.

I took a shortcut and, with the Servoy docs in my hands, I recreated the name for the Servoy services to 'Windows Servoy Service' and it starts well again.

Excellent point but you can also set the dependency (as pointed out in our documentation) to make sure sybase runs. In fact you should do that anyway: if you have a large database the alphabet coincidence trick will not work anymore as sybase will not be up by the time it starts firing up servoy. If you set the dependency it will wait starting Servoy until sybase says: I'm READY go for it (the syntax might be slightly different as I think they talk binary to each other)
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby IT2Be » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:17 pm

Excellent point but you can also set the dependency
I know, and I realized that I would be highly dependent of the startup time of the database.
In fact that is why I called it a shortcut.
Issue was for me however that I could not get the dependency thing going. For whatever reason it did not work. Can't remember why though :(
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Previous

Return to How To