How to test app and form performance?

Find out how to get things done with Servoy. Post how YOU get things done with Servoy

How to test app and form performance?

Postby janteque » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:53 am

Hi, this is my first post here, since many of my questions about Servoy have already been answered (thanks!!)

Now, my question.

We're planning to migrate a solution to Servoy, but first we should be sure that it'll perform fine with some hundreds of concurrent users.

I know how to test the performance of web client, but I'm stuck about load testing the smart client. Does anyone knows a way to load test a smart client? What are youtr preferred approaches to load test your solutions?

Thanks!
janteque

Re: How to test app and form performance?

Postby djclarke » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:44 pm

Here's how I've done it before:

-- Turn security off so you don't have to login
-- Write a method that emulates "typical" use of your solution: navigating to different forms, adding/editing records, run a few common methods, insert a few pauses
-- Call this method at the end of your startup method or trigger it from an easily accessible button
-- Get 5-10 friends (or failing that 5-10 computers :) ) and go to the Launch Servoy Client page
-- Click on Launch Servoy Client to start as many instances of client as your computer can handle (probably 10-20 on a recent machine) and run the "typical user" method
-- Watch the admin page for errors and db performance
-- launch an instance of client and don't trigger the "typical user" method, just click around and see how it works

Good luck!
djclarke

Postby janteque » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:28 am

thanks! the typical user method is a good approach to make it more "automatic".

However, I'd rather not to have to call 5-10 friends to load test my program... maybe I could use some functional tester to record and launch the navigation, has anybody use any software to do this?
janteque

Return to How To