Newsletter Tip or Trick number 3

Find out how to get things done with Servoy. Post how YOU get things done with Servoy

Newsletter Tip or Trick number 3

Postby cbenassi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:54 pm

Scroll down to see this month's tip.

Carla Benassi
Servoy USA
Marketing Coordinator
Last edited by cbenassi on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carla Benassi
Marketing Coordinator
Servoy USA
cbenassi

Tip or Trick Number 3

Postby cbenassi » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:17 am

For this issue's Tip or Trick, a Dynamic Valuelists Module, Servoy would like to thank Benoit Savignac and LOGIsoft - the newest SAN (Servoy Alliance Network) Partner. The Dynamic ValueLists Module enables you to simplify valuelist management in a multi-lingual environment - something that i18n does not support presently - and Ben describes what it is and what it does:

If you're like me, you need flexibility with value-lists, especially in a multi-lingual environment. Say, for instance, you would like to show your users a list of items, but these are different depending on the language used(Canadian Provinces, for example).

It would be fantastic if we could use Servoy's i18n engine in some way, but I haven't found how or if it's even possible (see http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?p=46498).

So: What's a Servoy developer to do? Thankfully, there are many ways to get at the same result using Servoy (see for example Riccardo Albieri's excellent article in Servoy Magazine at http://www.servoymagazine.com/home/2004 ... lueli.html).

Since I'm no SQL guru (yet!), I wanted a simple way of achieving this result. Enter this free and unlocked module for value-list management.

There are several advantages to this modular approach:
- I can let users add and modify their own lists
- I can use programmatically-set or fixed globals to link to the correct data (using the ID columns and proper relations)
- I can dynamically adapt the interface labels to the user's language of choice, or even change it on the fly (to print a specific invoice in a particular language, for instance).
- I can potentially account for an unlimited number of possibilities (add as many languages as I want, etc.)
- I can reuse this module in other solutions

I hope you enjoy using this module. As always, I have found invaluable help from the Forum in putting this together, and if you improve on this module attached (as I'm sure many of you will), please kindly share it back with the community - you'll see, it'll make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Sincerely,

Ben

P.S. To fully view and test the Attached Module, you need to have Servoy Developer installed on your PC. Try Servoy for yourself at www.servoy.com.
Attachments
mod_logisoft_vls.servoy
To fully view and test Ben's Module, you need to have Servoy Developer installed on your PC. Try Servoy for yourself at www.servoy.com.
(85.07 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Carla Benassi
Marketing Coordinator
Servoy USA
cbenassi

Return to How To