my current wishlist

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

my current wishlist

Postby lesouef » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:04 pm

sorry to bundle all in 1 post...

servoy wishlist
-----------------
Quite a few weeks I am working with Servoy, I'd like to communicate my wishlist.
Some of these items might be part of v4, but I did not find the specs anywhere.

design mode
- use shift to select several objects instead of ctrl.
- use ctrl+drag to duplicate an object, or a shorcut (Ctrl D?).

properties pane
- separate x and y to be able to change the width or height of several objects at once.
- stop putting it back in docked mode, I want to leave on my second screen!
- shoud be sorted by parameters category instead of alphabetically. Or rename some feature to have them grouped in alphabetic order: for instance rename rolloverImageMedia > imageMediaRollover to have it under imageMedia.
- onced detached, it does accept to be resized, grrrr.....

toolboxes
- be able to customize to make our own set, be able to insert it in menu line in the wasted top line after menus (word like)

objects
- when right clicking on an object, show the default action for left click.
- when selecting an object, the toolbox state does not always reflect the current object state, it may show align left for instance when it is actually centered. if you select it a 2nd time, it works... something to see with the object focus?
- fonts list, higher please, I hate to have to scroll in it, while my screen could accept a list with 50 names high.

colours
- no way to enter the hex values which is handy for people web familiar (while we can get it with copy in the colour palette).
- when using RGB model, too many tabs: should tab from value to value only, not to sliders (likely to be used with a mouse), and value should be "selectedOnEnter"

styles
- no way to create a style from an existing object, for instance how to create a special matte border in a style?
- no way to copy style/format/colour from an object to apply it to another one.

align/distribute
- more shorcuts please

layer font/back
- shorcuts unusable: 'Ctrl [' is a system shorcut already on a FR keyboard... same for 'Ctrl ]'. Customizable?

value lists
- duplicate function

objects colours
- when clicking on an existing object, one cannot get its backgound RGB or hex value, but only its colour patch

formindialogs
- can't be closed with Ctrl W, and Ctrl can't be used for mnemonics, only Alt... (on PC)
- when using - 1 -1 -1 -1 to open with scroll=default, it displays the scroll bars: I would have expected them off and display only if I resize the window.

help format
- why is it so narrow? all these examples where no line fits in the width of the window since the text is not justified in the window width.
One cannot reduce the point size either to try to fit more text. Also, searching for a word from the left pane does not take you to it directly but to its page; so you have to use CtrlF to finaly locate it paragraph since pages are so deep...

editor
- a smaller point size for the code area, or adjustable like in notepad++ (my refrence).
- background grid or vertical lines to show indents.
- external editor if that is too much work?

mouse wheel
- ignored!
lesouef

Postby pbakker » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:23 am

Hi Lesouef,

Tnx for your feedback. As these items are all related to our Developer environment and our development environment is about to be upgraded to Eclipse, I think you may find many of the items on your list allready implemented in 4.0 when it is released.

Please check these items when the 4.0 beta is released and if any of the items remain, please file a feature request in your support system.

Regards,

Paul
pbakker

file/save dialog style

Postby lesouef » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:10 pm

just another bit...
same way as "use system print dialog", I think the file open/save dialog should be independant of the current L&F, as especially on macs, this is far from what people are used to when switching to kunstoff for instance.
lesouef

Postby IT2Be » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:58 pm

just another bit...
same way as "use system print dialog", I think the file open/save dialog should be independant of the current L&F, as especially on macs, this is far from what people are used to when switching to kunstoff for instance.
But isn't switching to kunstoff far from what mac users are used to to begin with...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby lesouef » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:48 pm

yes, but using the default L&F on both platforms does not end up with something neat on both, at least with my style sheet. buttons and dropdowns have too many weird behaviours on mac, transparencies are just fancy.
that's not servoy's fault as I know safari has similar problems.
I found kunstoff a better compromise, similar behaviour on both sides, but it's just that save dialog window which definitly looks different, and there I would prefer the default one, much more familiar for users, including me.
well, this is just a wish! servoy will take it if they like it...
lesouef

Postby lesouef » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:06 pm

also the menus which cannot be hidden with the default L&F...
using kunstoff, the user can still change the prefs back, but safer to hide them first.
lesouef

Return to Discuss Feature Requests