Option to ignore the database components on import

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Option to ignore the database components on import

Postby markhooper » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:59 am

I would love it if there were an option in the Servoy Import screen to just ignore deployment of the database objects.

Having Servoy deploy database changes drives me crazy!! I'm the Sr. DBA and our Servoy applications connect to a rather large, rather sophisticated database. We have DBAs on staff that look after the care and feeding of the database and worry about all the deployments that affect our databases. We have multiple production databases in multiple cities - there is multi-master replication going on to add to the mix.
Bottom line... I CANNOT HAVE SERVOY MESSING WITH MY DATABASE !!!!!

We've found a way around this by having a 'database server' in Servoy that points to a 'junk' user. We keep the junk user in sync with the REAL database user but, ultimately, I don't care what Servoy does to the 'junk' user.
markhooper

Re: Option to ignore the database components on import

Postby IT2Be » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:15 am

I think you have a good point about having an option to ignore the database changes.
On the other hand you can also make the Servoy user so that it is not allowed to alter your database...

I also think that this:
Bottom line... I CANNOT HAVE SERVOY MESSING WITH MY DATABASE !!!!!
is not Servoy messing with your database but your developers not following any instructions (if any).

(I also think that shouting is offending and not necessary btw.)
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby Harjo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:22 am

We do this all the time!
We have created a Servoy user, that does not have rights, to add/change table content.
It's really that simple.
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby markhooper » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Maybe folks are fine with a development tool messing with their databases but I am not - as far as the 'shouting' goes that was not my intention and am sorry you took as such.

If its just a matter of setting the database user to 'read only' then that'll work, thanks.
markhooper

Postby ROCLASI » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:49 pm

Hi Mark,

markhooper wrote:Maybe folks are fine with a development tool messing with their databases but I am not - as far as the 'shouting' goes that was not my intention and am sorry you took as such.

Servoy's ability to 'mess with the database' is part of the easy deployment functionality of Servoy. You import a solution release that requires an extra column (that you added in your development environment) and Servoy will add it to the back-end database when it's not there. Let the users reconnect their clients and they they can continue working. Easy.
But if you want to alter the database yourself then you are required to do that first, then reboot Servoy server to let it see the altered database and then you can import the new solution that requires these changes.

markhooper wrote:If its just a matter of setting the database user to 'read only' then that'll work, thanks.

Well 'read-only' wouldn't be recommended since then you can't add/edit any data as well. Just don't allow the user to create/alter any database objects. But Servoy does require to read what tables and columns there are though.
That last bit is something that is a bit of a pain in MSSQL for example.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Return to Discuss Feature Requests