Dialogs and Webclient

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Dialogs and Webclient

Postby jbader » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Was wondering if there was any timeline for dialog support in webclient? I know this has come up before, but I have never seen anything definitive stating whether or not it would ever happen. If it is something that may happen in the foreseeable future, would be great to know. Otherwise I'll do what everyone else has done and use FID.

Thanks in advance.
jbader

Re: Dialogs and Webclient

Postby Jan Aleman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:31 am

jbader wrote:Was wondering if there was any timeline for dialog support in webclient? I know this has come up before, but I have never seen anything definitive stating whether or not it would ever happen. If it is something that may happen in the foreseeable future, would be great to know. Otherwise I'll do what everyone else has done and use FID.

Thanks in advance.

You can do dialogs in webclient, modal and non modal. Pretty similar to smart client.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby jbader » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:37 am

You mean via formInDialog yes?
jbader

Postby ptalbot » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Yes, I always wondered why there was no support for simple JavaScript dialogs, like alert(), confirm() and prompt() in the browser - all 3 standard window methods in JS.

Having to build a FID or use a module for such simple calls that take 1 line of code in a browser is a bit overkill.

A case for Servoy 6, perhaps? ;-)
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby jbader » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:49 am

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;-)
jbader

Postby martinh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 am

Jan Aleman wrote:You can do dialogs in webclient, modal and non modal. Pretty similar to smart client.

Does this mean that with Servoy 5 it is no longer necessary to use call-back methods when using dialogs and that the process is really stopped in the dialog now and no longer continues in webclient like before?
Martin
------------------------------------------------
Servoy Developer
Version 5.2.10/5.2.13
Java version 1.6 update 31
Database SQL Server 2008 R2
martinh

Postby pbakker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:54 am

@martin: no changes have been made in the behavior in Servoy 5.0/5.1
@ptalbot: just calling the JavaScript code to show those dialogs is just a very small part of what needs to happen, as I'm sure you understand :)

Servoy supports both modal and non-modal dialogs in both the Smart and Web Client.

The ability to show a dialog in the middle of a method and automatically pause the method until the user has closed the dialog is currently only possible in the Smart Client. Aligning this behavior between the Smart and Web Client is on the todo list, but requires significant engineering effort and depends on a not yet released version of the JavaScript engine Servoy uses.

In the meantime, have a look at the recorded JavaScript Expert webinar (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12457&st=0&sk=t&sd=a). In that webinar I show a technique that allows you to simulate the behavior Smart Client behavior in the Web Client.

Paul
pbakker

Postby jbader » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Paul.
jbader

Return to Discuss Feature Requests