Servoy Runtime feature

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Servoy Runtime feature

Postby Harjo » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:38 pm

What I really would like to see in Servoy Runtime is an import function, to update the solution, the same way as in Developer or servoy-admin.

I know you can update the file only, but you new database columns are not added automaticly!

Is this possible?
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby Jan Blok » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:25 pm

Will not be done, a runtime is ment for demo's/distro's it has for example no repository, its like a not modifiable package...
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby bobcart » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:33 pm

Jan Blok wrote:Will not be done, a runtime is ment for demo's/distro's it has for example no repository, its like a not modifiable package...

Is this true? Is there no way to update a runtime? Is the runtime builder just a tool for developers to demo their client server apps???

Where can I read about the runtime builder capabilities? Is it a real product?
I have three projects that require runtimes and these are definateley NOT demo's. One would replace a filemaker pro runtime with over 100 installed users and growing.
bobcart

Postby Jan Blok » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:31 am

Well you can send the customers a new solution.runtime file(as found in the runtime lib dir) which holds all the solution/repository information. (meaning you replacing your runtime information)
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby bobcart » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:58 am

That's fine as long as they can maintain their data, i.e. export and import prior to upgrading. How would you handle that elegantly?
bobcart

Postby Harjo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:04 am

Jan Blok wrote:Well you can send the customers a new solution.runtime file(as found in the runtime lib dir) which holds all the solution/repository information. (meaning you replacing your runtime information)

That's nice!

1.) Can we use the http-plugin for that, so they can automaticly download the file and overwrite?

2.) How do we handle changes in the database? new columns, etc..??
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby Jan Blok » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:42 am

1) yes you could
2) thats a problem, you cannot alter your database model, you whould have to ship the DB's again
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby Harjo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:51 am

Jan Blok wrote:1) yes you could
2) thats a problem, you cannot alter your database model, you whould have to ship the DB's again

Is there no way we could shoot a sql-file/statement from the runtime to the db and add columns that way? Also on a user-friendly way?
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby bobcart » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:24 pm

HJK wrote:Is there no way we could shoot a sql-file/statement from the runtime to the db and add columns that way? Also on a user-friendly way?

Or perhaps build in a script to dump and load the data to a file that could be reloaded into the updated database?
bobcart

Postby Harjo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:29 pm

I would really love to see such a feature.

We have build a solution (for a customer) now in Filemaker which they have sold to 350 companies (almost all runtimes!)

We build a lot of routines in there to import/export the whole stuff.
They are not happy with the fm7, so they are thinking to transform to Servoy.

So changing the data-model in a runtime is very important for them.
But it has to be on a user-friendly way. (No mannually using 3th party tools!)

Is it possible?
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:47 pm

1. Create a stored procedure in your database that alters tables based on parameters you send to it
2. Set your solution to trigger that SP the first time it launches, in the same method exit servoy as it needs to reload to see the new tables
3. perform other init methods if necessary

We might also extend the runtime builder in the future so this can be done automatically. However at the moment the runtime builder is a very low volume product so we will have to dedicate our time to the other 482 features you have requested from us. As usual if you really need this feature you can always contact us for the EAFBCIDCP (Escalate A Feature By Contributing In Development Cost Program) fee.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby bobcart » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:40 am

jaleman wrote:We might also extend the runtime builder in the future so this can be done automatically. However at the moment the runtime builder is a very low volume product so we will have to dedicate our time to the other 482 features you have requested from us. As usual if you really need this feature you can always contact us for the EAFBCIDCP (Escalate A Feature By Contributing In Development Cost Program) fee.

Jan, you have my attention. I'd buy a builder license now if I thought it would better support runtimes than what I have to do with filemaker. I'm happy to help with requirements if this would be helpful.

Bob
bobcart

Postby ahmad » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:59 pm

Hi,

We were about to purchase the runtime builder in few days.. But we are now worried about how the upgrades will be done easily and user-friendly.

I think the current way of updating the solution (repository) information is fine.

But we are confused with how the data structure changes (add or delete a coulmn or table etc..) will be updated.

Also how the data from the old version will be updated into the latest database?

The servoy document does not tell me anything about updating a runtime solution

Could you please explain me in detail how all going to work so that we are confident before we purchase?

Thanks
Ahmad
Programmer
Pilot simple software
Hong Kong
ahmad

Postby Jan Blok » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:02 pm

ahmad wrote:...The servoy document does not tell me anything about updating a runtime solution...

The Servoy runtime was not designed to be updated when released (its ment for demo's/distro's currently)
But if you read earlier messages in this topic you will see it is possible via stored procedures and http plugin.
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby ahmad » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:34 pm

Jan Blok wrote: it is possible via stored procedures and http plugin.

Can some one give some real time example of how it works since I have no knowledge about stored procedures. Where these procedures to be stored? in the previous version or updated version?

How the data are migrated across?

Some real time explantation will be helpful greatly

Thanks
Ahmad
Programmer
Pilot simple software
Hong Kong
ahmad

Next

Return to Discuss Feature Requests