Servoy Runtime feature

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Postby bobcart » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:14 am

Can some one give some real time example of how it works since I have no knowledge about stored procedures. Where these procedures to be stored? in the previous version or updated version?

How the data are migrated across?

A stored procedure is just a query stored in the database. You would execute it with executeStoredProcedure in a Servoy method. This method could be triggerred by http too. The SP would already need to be in the old version of the solution so that the new version could make use of it. You would just call it to run and pass it the neeeded parameters like a new table name or column, etc. Then you'd exit servoy to refresh the tables.

Theoretically, you could then do just about anything with teh databsase here. My guess is that you could also use this to get around some of the limitations Servoy puts on modifying tables. Those limitations are in place to protect the db structure in case other there are non-servoy users of the db like a webserver connection, for example. However, now with the headless client, that is probably a little less important. In many environments, the databse may only be serving Servoy.

Anyway, this is a powerful approach and again shows how you can probably do whatever you really need to do with Servoy. You only may need to use some clever SQL or Java or beg Servoy team to build a feature to do the heavy lifting.

I'll be playing with this in the weeks ahead for sure.
bobcart

Postby ahmad » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:02 am

Thanks a lot Bob..

It's really useful for me..

Please share your ideas here..

My understanding is if you forget to add the stored procedure in the older version then you will be helpless to update the data structure..

Anyway I will learn more about stored procedure..

But I think Servoy has to make better upgrade process in the future versions.

Cheers
Ahmad
Programmer
Pilot simple software
Hong Kong
ahmad

Postby bobcart » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:36 am

jaleman wrote:1. Create a stored procedure in your database that alters tables based on parameters you send to it
2. Set your solution to trigger that SP the first time it launches, in the same method exit servoy as it needs to reload to see the new tables
3. perform other init methods if necessary

We might also extend the runtime builder in the future so this can be done automatically. However at the moment the runtime builder is a very low volume product so we will have to dedicate our time to the other 482 features you have requested from us. As usual if you really need this feature you can always contact us for the EAFBCIDCP (Escalate A Feature By Contributing In Development Cost Program) fee.

Is the ASA database included in the Servoly runtime build, the ASA personal database or the ASA Desktop Runtime Edition? If it is the later, you cannot use stored procs. Also, trax log and thereby no syncronization "by any means", no triggers or events, no use of ALTER atatements, can't use CREATE, can't DROP, can't use openconnect tools like Sybase Central, can't encrypt, and no java. Certainly it's the personal edition, isn't it???

http://download.sybase.com/pdfdocs/awg0900e/rdrten9.pdf
bobcart

Postby Jan Aleman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:10 pm

No worries, it's the personal database server we include.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby bobcart » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:41 pm

Whew! Thanks for that.
bobcart

Postby Homer » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:32 pm

This is an old topic but I'm considering to use Servoy' runtimes to distribute a commercial application. The app will be stand-alone (no network required) and will have to be updated in the future.

With Servoy, now in version 3.5, is it possible to natively alter the database model for adding, modifying or deleting fields inside the data tables? Is the DB stored procedures still the best way to accomplish this once-per-update task?

Also, is the runtime distributions are totally royalty free?? (sorry, I didn't find the time to read much documentation) :(

THANKS.
Homer

Postby Jan Aleman » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:58 pm

Using the Servoy RAW plugin you can alter your schema too, so yes it is possible.

Default runtime pricing is $2000 per 500 copies. If you plan for larger distribution please contact our sales team for possibilities, a lot is possible!
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Homer » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:30 pm

Thank you very much Mr Aleman! I'm sorry for the delay (summer time 8) )

As a test, I built a runtime distribution with the CRM example provided with Servoy (BTW, this is great demo). The runtime is working fine but the images (icons / buttons) are not displayed. Looks like the medias were forgotten when creating the RT.

Is it a limitation possibly implemented to cover image copyrights? Or a small bug? Do I have to manually copy the media files in the Runtime? And if so, in which folder?

I'm not sure it matters, but I'm on Mac Tiger 10.4.10.

Thank you again!

P.S.: I did not play yet with the RAWsql plug-in but it seems very promising.
Homer

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:28 pm

Strange, images should work fine in runtime. Which version of Servoy are you using? Which version of Java?
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Homer » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks again Mr. Aleman.

Here's my details:
Servoy Developer
Version 3.5-build 513
Java version 1.5.0_07-87 (Mac OS X)

By the way, the product images are displayed (those stored inside the product_image field)... Only the medias that are supposed to appears as graphics on the forms are causing problems.
Homer

Postby Gabi Boros » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:58 pm

hello,

the problem with the images in the runtime client was solved, it will be included
in version 3.5.1

best regards
Gabi Boros
Servoy
Gabi Boros

Postby Homer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:03 am

Thank you very much Mr. Boros. And another thank you to Mr. Aleman! Wow! Servoy = quick responses!! :D
Homer

Previous

Return to Discuss Feature Requests