Be able to display multiple windows.

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Postby patrick » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:55 pm

That should be two licenses since it's two sessions on the server and that is what counts...
patrick

Postby bubba » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:16 pm

patrick wrote:That should be two licenses since it's two sessions on the server and that is what counts...

Then its not a very cost effective work around. :-(
bubba

Postby bcusick » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:28 pm

You DO NOT need two licenses to open two copies of DEVELOPER. But, if you open multiple client sessions - then you will use 2 concurrent client licenses.
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby bubba » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:58 pm

bcusick wrote:You DO NOT need two licenses to open two copies of DEVELOPER. But, if you open multiple client sessions - then you will use 2 concurrent client licenses.

Bob:

I'm talking about Clients, this is a need for end user deployment.

I hope some mechanism for handling multliple sessions/windows on a Client will be in the works. :wink:

Thanks!
Lee Snover
bubba

Postby bcusick » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:46 pm

Write a plug-in! :D
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby bubba » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:00 pm

bcusick wrote:Write a plug-in! :D

Why would I need to, or want to write a plug in to get two windows?

I'm a 4GL developer, not a C++ programmer. That's why I use tools like Omnis, Filemaker, etc. and not .Net.

I barely have time to do what I have to do.

Regards,
Lee Snover
bubba

Postby john.allen » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:18 pm

It does count as two licenses but of course this would not be something
you would do for very long as in the examples earlier in this thread. The
other way to do it in OS X is to download two copies of Client to your
desktop (give them different names so as to keep track). Then you can
double-click both and don't have to do it from the command-line to have
two simultaneous client connections from the same machine.
John Allen
Stanford University
john.allen

Postby bcusick » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:18 pm

leesnover wrote:

I'm a 4GL developer, not a C++ programmer. That's why I use tools like Omnis, Filemaker, etc. and not .Net.

I can understand that. The merits of having multiple windows have been well documented on this forum in multiple threads. The request has been "heard" by the development team and management team. No decision has been made as to when or even IF we will include that functionality in the product. It will NOT be in the product for the forseeable future (at least for the releases scheduled to mid 2006 that I am aware of).
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby john.allen » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:50 pm

For my two cents I feel it is a GOOD thing that multiple windows is not at the top of the list for Servoy development. Because one can have multiple client windows open - as mentioned earlier - and the only downside is that it involves using another concurrent license during the time of use. My feeling is that if one is actually needing two windows/solutions open at the same time on a permanent basis, then one should be purchasing those two licenses anyway. If it is a temporary, look-something-up-quickly-without-disturbing-my-work type of thing as mentioned, then the beauty of the concurrent license structure really allows for that. I'd rather development time was spent on other things for which there is no good alternative or work around.
John Allen
Stanford University
john.allen

Postby bubba » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:42 am

bcusick wrote:
leesnover wrote:

I can understand that. The merits of having multiple windows have been well documented on this forum in multiple threads. The request has been "heard" by the development team and management team. No decision has been made as to when or even IF we will include that functionality in the product. It will NOT be in the product for the forseeable future (at least for the releases scheduled to mid 2006 that I am aware of).

Bob:

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here. I'm new to the forums and just getting involved with trying to do some "real" work in Servoy. It's certainly not a show stopper, but I do feel it's an important issue, just from a competitive standpoint. I did the multi-copy thing with Omnis 7 for years, but I was quite pleased when Omnis Studio came out and finally got rid of that limitation. Same for Filemaker 7. I use the feature extensively in FM7 for things that have nothing to do with user interface, because of the "main file" being tied to a layout. I don't think that will be such an issue in Servoy.

Regards,
Lee Snover
bubba

Postby bcusick » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:42 am

Hi Lee,

Thanks for all your comments. :D
It's important that we hear from our developers - and I'm not trying to stop that from happening.

We do take ALL requests and considerations and keep track of them - and we have to prioritize them based on how much work, how much time, how much it affects backward compatability, how much it affects developer code, how much it affects client code, how much it affects server code, how much it affects headless client code, etc, etc.

We DO value all input - so thanks!
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Show stopper for me.

Postby Amary » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:38 am

I was shocked to find the one window limitation after purchasing Servoy. It didn't even occur to me that a modern, object-oriented RAD might NOT support multiple windows, and I was pretty far into porting a project before running into this brick wall!

Even the ancient, archaic system I was hoping to upgrade from supported this!

I've been checking back now and then in the hopes of seeing this feature appear, but things don't look good at this point... Please add my vote nevertheless.
Amary

Postby chartpacs » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:14 am

I found it surprising, too.

Please at least reconsider implementing the idea raised here:
http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=2085

Specifically, the ability to *not* hide the first FID when a second FID is called. Is that easier to do than implementing a full-blown window management system?
Regards,
Servoy Developer
Version 3.1 beta2-build 401
Java version 1.5.0_06-64, Mac OS X 10.4.8
chartpacs

Postby rodneysieb » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:47 am

Hi

I actually prefer servoy's style of a single main window with the ability pop a single FID. It almost forces a very 'clean' interface. Almost all users i speak to prefer this style as opposed to getting lost in a mess of pop up windows.

I don't find it limiting at all, it does make you rethink the design however.
Regards,
Rodney Siebenhausen

logic@work
Brisbane, Australia
rodneysieb

Postby IT2Be » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:06 am

Adding to what Rodney said about this subject. It has come across more than once.

I too have had huge difficulties talking to my clients about a 'single window interface'. Simply because they were used to work in another way. Today they like it.

It is, imho, a matter of what you are used to and I see many many applications using just one window...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss Feature Requests