Be able to display multiple windows.

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Be able to display multiple windows.

Postby raymanj » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:20 pm

It would be great to be able to display multiple separate windows at the same time. Each window could show the same form or other forms.

Here is a link to a topic asking about this feature.

http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=3635
raymanj

Postby Westy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:47 pm

I tend to agree with Bob Cusick's response to this in a prior thread at:

http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=2085&start=15
Westy

Rubish

Postby mjekl » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:48 pm

Westy wrote:I tend to agree with Bob Cusick's response to this in a prior thread at:

I absolutely disagree! The fact that the feature is there does not mean you missuse it. The missuse comes from the developer not from the fact the feature is there! It's rubish to invert the terms of the proposition, like in "all males are peopl. So all people are males" !!!

This feature, although not essencial, would put alot of power and flexibility in the hands of the developer. With these comes responsability and also of course the ability to mess things up! The fact that it isn't there only makes people figure different solutions (some times better, but not necessary alway so).

Miguel
mjekl

Re: Rubish

Postby bubba » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:28 pm

mjekl wrote:
Westy wrote:I tend to agree with Bob Cusick's response to this in a prior thread at:

I absolutely disagree! The fact that the feature is there does not mean you missuse it. The missuse comes from the developer not from the fact the feature is there! It's rubish to invert the terms of the proposition, like in "all males are peopl. So all people are males" !!!

This feature, although not essencial, would put alot of power and flexibility in the hands of the developer. With these comes responsability and also of course the ability to mess things up! The fact that it isn't there only makes people figure different solutions (some times better, but not necessary alway so).

Miguel

Miguel & Bob:

I also disagree, multiple windows or multiple instances of Servoy should be an option.

I agree with Bob that multi-windows as a developer can get very hairy, but with object orientation, it need not be a nightmare. It does require more planning and structure.

As an Omnis developer, I was quite pleased when we got the ability to have multiple instances of teh same object in Omnis Studio. The times you truly need it are rare, but when you need it you need it.

Ie. I'm entering an new order, the phone rings, it's another customer who wants me to check on his order. I don't want to have to "complete" the new order prematurely, go look up the old order, then come back and find the incomplete new order. I just want to pop open another window, do my lookup, deal with the old customer, and then get right back to my new order where I left off.

How can I do this efficiently in Servoy?

Thanks,
Lee Snover
bubba

Postby tingram » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:03 pm

leesnover wrote:Ie. I'm entering an new order, the phone rings, it's another customer who wants me to check on his order. I don't want to have to "complete" the new order prematurely, go look up the old order, then come back and find the incomplete new order. I just want to pop open another window, do my lookup, deal with the old customer, and then get right back to my new order where I left off.

This is a very frequent senario in our organization also. And we haven't begun how to answer how we will manage this in our new development with Servoy. Very interested in this conversation!
Tara Ingram
tingramconsulting.com
tingram

Postby bubba » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:26 pm

tingram wrote:
leesnover wrote:Ie. I'm entering an new order, the phone rings, it's another customer who wants me to check on his order. I don't want to have to "complete" the new order prematurely, go look up the old order, then come back and find the incomplete new order. I just want to pop open another window, do my lookup, deal with the old customer, and then get right back to my new order where I left off.

This is a very frequent senario in our organization also. And we haven't begun how to answer how we will manage this in our new development with Servoy. Very interested in this conversation!

I'll add that while the feature is slightly less sophisticated in FM7, it is one of the features I appreciate the most. I do a great deal of "comparitive" work between records. I run two 20" monitors to make all this work. But it's increased my productivity greatly, and was well worth the investment in screen real estate. Good software will not limit what a developer can do with it. I hope Servoy will respond to the need.

Regards,
Lee Snover
bubba

Postby raymanj » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:31 pm

I am glad to see some people discuss this feature. For a while there I thought no one really cared about multiple windows, either way.
raymanj

Postby bubba » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:59 am

raymanj wrote:I am glad to see some people discuss this feature. For a while there I thought no one really cared about multiple windows, either way.

Do you guys have any work arounds to this at the moment? Can you open two Servoy Sessions on one workstation.

Regards,
Lee Snover
bubba

Postby bcusick » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:09 am

leesnover wrote:
raymanj wrote:I am glad to see some people discuss this feature. For a while there I thought no one really cared about multiple windows, either way.

Do you guys have any work arounds to this at the moment? Can you open two Servoy Sessions on one workstation.

You can run as many instances of Servoy on a single machine as you have RAM for.
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby raymanj » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:54 am

bcusick wrote:You can run as many instances of Servoy on a single machine as you have RAM for.

This only works on Windows not Mac OSX.
raymanj

Postby john.allen » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:40 am

Unfortunately I am away from my setup and don't have good Internet access here but I don't think that is true. I think you can run multiple instances of Servoy Client from the same Mac. I know I have done so frequently when connected to different Servoy Servers (solutions) and I think I have done it as well to the same Server/solution.
John Allen
Stanford University
john.allen

Postby bcusick » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:57 pm

raymanj wrote:
bcusick wrote:You can run as many instances of Servoy on a single machine as you have RAM for.

Ummm.... sorry - you're mis-informed.

You CAN run multiple copies of both CLIENT and DEVELOPER on OS X. Really! The difference is that on OS X you have to start the additional copy of developer via the command line (since on the Mac if you just double-click the icon it will bring forward the currently running instance).
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:04 pm

On OSX you can't open the same binary twice. You can however copy the binary and launch both.
Opening a client twice probably meant that you downloaded a client twice and thus have 2 binaries (servoy_client.jnlp and servoy_client-1.jnlp).
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:06 pm

Umm..reading Bob's post I guess I am wrong.
Thru the command-line you can.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby bubba » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:53 pm

bcusick wrote:
leesnover wrote:

You can run as many instances of Servoy on a single machine as you have RAM for.

Does this count as two licenses running or one?

Thanks,
Lee
bubba

Next

Return to Discuss Feature Requests