Notes on globals

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Notes on globals

Postby ngervasi » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:54 pm

As solutions grow and get more and more complicated it's not easy to remember the meaning of a global field and sometimes you end up with global duplications or unused globals that you don't dare to delete.
Could it be possible to have a note field in the global creation pane to keep track of the meaning and use of each global variable?
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby ebrandt » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 pm

It would be nice to add comments to all fields through the front end as well.
ebrandt

Postby mjekl » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:25 pm

That would be nice. Specially if the comments appeared a tooltip in the Globals tree.

But I rather...
Define "globals" at the form level. And have a Globals node under each form.
This seems possible. Clearly a global is:
* a variable blessed with the ability to be a dataprovider (in a form);
* accessible from anywhere;

Frankly I would love to have the ability to have them defined at the form level. Even if with global scope - then it would be the developers responsibility to use them globally or not. Because:
* I would almost stop using globals at solution level;
* encorages the use of parameters to transmit information between forms (this is already possible);
* MOST IMPORTANTLY: I would not create solution level globals to support fields only existing at form level (like criteria for searches);
* Finish with the globals mess, always not sure if it's still used (reminds of FMP)

IMHO,
Miguel
mjekl

Comments in Globals

Postby sls2000 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:18 pm

I agree. It would help tremendously to have a column for comments when entering new globals.

I would also like to request a comment field for methods, calculations and forms as well. I know you can comment within these areas, but it would be nice to have them in one spot.

If these comments are implimented correctly, a simple report can be generated automatically with a list of globals, calculations, methods and forms and where they are used. What an great tool for documentation.
sls2000

Postby mjekl » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:23 pm

mistaken post
mjekl

Postby IT2Be » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:33 pm

The upcoming Analyzer will offer the ability to make notes...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Return to Discuss Feature Requests