Renewed: get(Element)Type function

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Renewed: get(Element)Type function

Postby pbakker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:45 pm

Hi,

In the (long and distant) past, this request has passed through allready, but nothing was done with it, as far as I'm aware.

The request is to have a function to determine the type of a (named) element. The function would return either the name or the corresponing number of the type of an element. And with type, I mean for example: button, tabpanel, label, splitpane, jprogressbar etc.

Up to now (before Servoy 3.0), there were two workarounds for the missing function:
1: parse the stringvalue of the element
2: determine the class of the Java object.

The latter is the most foolproof i.m.h.o. In 3.0, this is not possible anymore, especially in the WebClient. Therefor I'm bringing this up again.

Why do you need it, you might ask... Well, in my case, I've got this generic system build into my solution to store the preferences of the user, like the position of the JSplitPane divider, sizes of dialogs, the order and size of TableView/Portal columns etc. I do not hardcode it for every specific element, but have generic functions that are attached to onFormShow/Load/Hide.

Based ont he type of element, I perform different actions, hence I need to determine the type of element.

Could this feature be added to all named elements?

Regards,

Paul
pbakker

Postby patrick » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:25 pm

Add me to this. One of my longtime wishes.
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Postby pbakker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:53 pm

BTW: I prefer a function that returns the name, since this could then return the classname of any java object, so you cover all possible beans.

I cretaed a ticket in the support system for this: 47105

Paul
pbakker

Return to Discuss Feature Requests